2006 vs 2008 Framesets

ukdavvy
ukdavvy Posts: 42
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

Sorry again for the tedious question
I honestly know little about roadbikes.........

Im looking for a roadie

I have been drawn to a local shop selling 2006 models at 2/3 the price of 2008

Is there likely to be much, if any, difference in frame technology or geometry for the same bike from these model years?

Its a carbon Trek

Cheers

david

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited November 2007
    Not a lot I'd say - the latest "trends" are introduced by the manufacturers in an attempt to persuade you that your 3-year-old bike is a relic and the new model with all the whizz-bangs is what you must have. Some of the developments are of course for the better, but I suspect most of us would be hard pressed to tell from the ride quality and handling alone that a bike from 2006 is very much different from the latest model.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I have changed my mind completely recently regarding the best frame material for the money. I've had carbon before and been lead to believe that was the modern material and everything else was past tense. However I recently bought a Kinesis Racelight TK and it's excellent. It doesn't shake out your fillings or make you walk like a cowboy after 40 miles. A perfect ride. If I was looking for a weekend fast riding bike I would now look at the other Kinesis offerings or the Planet X Ultralight. Cheaper than the cheapest carbon but great frames.
    I think there is a lot of propaganda about carbon at the moment.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Sorry, I meant to put my put that in another thread
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I think you have to be aware that you are comparing like with like with models of the same name but different years ie it is the same frame material, rear stays hav not changed from alu to carbon, etc, the groupsets are of a similar 'ranking', wheelsets of similar quality, etc..

Between years, the differences in bike models may be no more than cosmetic, at other times there may well be fundamental changes. Check the specs before deciding.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The colours and decals will be *so* 2006 on the older framesets.