Soggy Bottom @ Newnham Park, Plymouth this weekend

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited November 2007 in XC and Enduro
Whilst browsing the net I saw that there is a 3 race series held at Newnham park over the winter, with the first race this weekend.

As I'm local I thought about going along, for what would be my first event.

I normally only do a bit of light hearted riding once a week at a fairly gentle pace, so am a long way from being really fit or a great rider but would like to do more.

What are the 'fun' races like? What sort of people / ability enter? Same for the general adult men sport class, whats the standard like? I'd hate to enter something and be embarresingly slow or get in peoples way!

Comments

• Go for it. There are some great tracks around Newnham and the fun event is a great place to start but ill bet you will want to move up for your next one as it gets addictive quickly.
  • Guys (and girls!)...

Does anyone know if you can enter on the day for the soggy bottom series??

I've left it a bit late to get my entry form posted off, but would like to try my hand at this Sundays race. Couldn't see a contact email address on XCracer to ask them...

Cheers,

Greg
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Think they are accepting entries on the day.

I'm going up to spectate
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Did my only race at soggy bottoms rnd 3 in Feb earlier this year. All I can say it is a real experience. I enetred the sport cat and to be honest struggled badly with the last 1 1/2 laps or so.
    As it is my local race am thinking of doing this sundays race in the fun section (just 3 laps)
    The soggy bottom route varies from race to race I believe, but all the variations I imagine are quite challenging rides. Reading the XCracer website there is a grassy climb on sundays course which is a real pain, especially after you have probably had dozens of riders go over that same part of the course several times throughout the duration of the day.

I am pretty sure that race day entry is normal. (I pre-registered for the feb race, but there were plenty of riders registering on the day. )

The standard of fitness of the riders i found phenomanal esapecially those in the elite/expert cat who just seemed to sprint 5 laps of the course in the time i had done 3!!

If i go on sun it will be in the knowledge that there will be many quicker riders there, but also knowing that th atmosphere is very friendly.
  • I was over at Certini's today, talking to one of the guys who works there, can definately enter on the day :D

I've ridden Newnham a few times, did the MBR weekend there last year.... took my Whyte 46 on the 'half marathon'... Moral of the story... don't take a 6" travelbike weighing 30lb on a ride when your trying to keep up with the fast men!!

I suffered that badly on the last lap, I went out and bought a Giant XTC the following month!!! Hopefully it will be a bit easier to drag around the course tomorrow.... I've never raced a XC event, only done enduro's, so hopefully things won't be too fast for me!!!

I'm getting old now :? :?

Give me a shout if you see me there... I'll be on the cream coloured XTC with a carbon rear end..... probably loitering at the back of the field :lol:

Cheers... Greg
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I've put some pics on this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12549461
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com