rockhopper vs avalanche

gsaps
gsaps Posts: 17
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
firstly thanks for any help the members might provide, this is my first post and first mountain bike so i'm suffering with the usual indecision!!
i've fnally narrowed it down to 2 options, the specialized rockhopper 2007 for £395 (which sounds like a bargain) or the GT avalanche 2008 for £450
i've seeen glowing reviews of the avalanche but i know the rockhopper is also popular and the price is tempting.
can anyone help me make my mind up as i need to make a decision this week
thanks again for a great forum and any advice

Comments

• Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    Which Avalanche model 1.0 2.0 3.0?
  • At that price I'd guess its the 1.0 and I'd go for the GT personally. The rockhopper certainly wouldn't be a bad buy but with the reviews the GT has had, thats what I'd choose. others may say different :wink:
  • Sev101
    Yeah I would say Avalanche 2

I had one and third time out the pedal and crank arm came off!! :shock:

Due to dodgy setting up at the shop so got my money back!! could not get another one at the time from anywhere local so bought a specialized hardrock pro - both good bikes.
  • gsaps
    thanks for the replies, it is the avalanche 1.0
    what about the merlin malt 1, the 2007 model is going for around £400
    ..and i thought i'd narrowed it down to 2??? :roll:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Merlin is pretty damn good, but unless you live near Merlin you won't be able to test one.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • gsaps
    and i've just realised the rockhopper wasn't discs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i might have to go with the merlin without testing it but as i'm new to the game i have nothing to compare it to....
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Go with the advice and get the Avalanche 1.0 you won't be dissapointed.

I've got a GT Aggressor 2.0 XC and it's superb
  • Best bet is to actually test both of them, and any other bikes around that price mark. You will be amazed at how different similarly priced bikes feel sometimes. Another thing to consider is frame spec with regards to future component upgrades.
  • Sev101
    Good advice - just a subtle change in geometry can make a huge difference to the way the bike feels and if you will get on with it.

Testing bikes is always a good idea - I have been on test days and got on some and hated the things and in some cases ended up pushing them around rather than riding them!

I personally would go with the advice and test them if you can mate

Good luck
  • I've got a Avalanche Disc 1.0, bought earlier this year. I've abused it around Afan and cwmcarn and it hasn't flinched. The only thing I've changed is the pedals, I ugraded to SPDs. The front suspension can be locked out easily which is great if you're doing road work.
    But try to get a test first as we're all different. It wasn't until I tried out a few mates bikes that I realised how happy I was with my GT.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I've got the Rockhopper. Love it. Nice light bike. Very responsive. I've got the v brakes and they're good - except when covered in mud! It's disc ready so I will probably upgrade later.