Giant XTC LX

munchkin2
munchkin2 Posts: 238
edited November 2007 in XC and Enduro
i do not understand all the mounts for disc brakes and i am considering upgrading the brakes on my bike to avid juicy 5's.
my bike is a giant xtc lx.
the brakes i am interested are featured in the link below.

just want to know if they will fit my bike.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=128

all help appreciated!!
meep, \'Quote\' George Morton " wahoo, I\'m popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695

Comments

• The frame mounts will be IS so no problem there.Can't remember if the fork is Post mount or IS,but either way an adaptor can be bought cheaply ,if not already included with the brakes.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    there is a help topic on disc mounts in the workshop and tech thread as a sticky should help. If not post a pic of the fork mount and someone will ID it in seconds.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • I would also recommend you consider shimano brakes. You can pick up a set of XTs for around £100 and there a fare superior brake from my experience. The XT also use mineral oil so are a lot nicer to work on. As said though your rear is a IS caliper mount and a IS 6 bolt rotor. The front is also a IS 6 bolt rotor and the forks are IS for the caliper if you have RSsuntour or RockShox of that age or if its a manitou fork they tend to be post mount. Your best to get the brakes from your local bike shop as they can tell you what ones you require and can fit them for you. It can be tricky to fit them some times.
  • dav1
    where can you find a set of XTs for £100? Best shimano i have found for a full set is LX for £120 ish

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Wiggle had them listed but they look to have sold out now. They look to only have sets for £159 including discs. They have LX for £88 though that is with no rotors. I would still take the LX over the Avids, but then I would even take the Deore over the Avids. But if you like the Avids dont read to much in to that as there a love it or hate it type brake.
  • Have a look at some of the deals on Shimano brakes on ww.merlincycles.co/uk

2007 XT for £109.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • dav1
    £140 when you add rotors.

I was budgiting £150 for the brake system, the avilo shifter pods (no point in anything better ill upgrade to 9 speed before too long im sure) and a beed kit.. Pushed it up a touch to get into juicy5/HFX-9 carbon/LX territory which im currently limiting my options to before my budget gets out of control.

Carrera virtuoso - RIP