cant get small chainwheel on my triple

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
ive tried to sort out my front derailleur as it was catching on the chain now i can only get the 2 largest chainwheels on my road bike, when i do manage to get the 2 smallest chainwheels i cant get the largest guess im going to have to take it to bike shop

Comments

• T800
    T800 Posts: 672
    Have you had a look at some of the advice on the Internet, such as the Park Tool Front Derailleur Adjustments page?
    andy610 wrote:
    ive tried to sort out my front derailleur as it was catching on the chain now i can only get the 2 largest chainwheels on my road bike, when i do manage to get the 2 smallest chainwheels i cant get the largest guess im going to have to take it to bike shop
    So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Sounds to me as if you have not enough cable movement, assuming that every thing used to be OK. check that the mech itself is free, they do seize up although it sounds as if yours is OK. then check that the lever is pulling the full amount of cable, if it is then, put the chain on the little ring and undo the cable nut and the mech should stay where it is, if not use the depth stop screw to line it up then tighten the cable back up and one swipe of your gear lever should put it on the middle ring, if not use the cable adjuster so it does, then one more swipe of the lever should put the chain on the big ring.
    It is actually easier to do than it is to write it down explaining how to do it.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace