Winter in the Gym

jackmcd
jackmcd Posts: 185
edited November 2007 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Folks,

Wonder if anyone can advise...

What should I be doing int he gym over the winter to improve my cycling?

I want to be able to go further, faster and harder as I struggle to keep up with my 16yr old son. Presume plenty of miles on the cycle trainer - perhaps a bit of upper body strength work?

Any tips appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• do those spinning classes
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    urgh
    why dont you just get some lights or a turbo trainer then at least you can stay at home 8)
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Only use the gym for weights, or the rowing machines are a great all rounder. For bike riding, just buy a turbo and use your own bike at home, you get to choose the TV or music.
  • jackmcd
    thanks folks!

I'm a member of the gym anyway (family member through work). I'll try the spinning class - never done a class before but will try anything at least once!

cheers
  • As mentioned above, just get a reasonably decent light and keep riding your bike. I have a Light and Motion Stella 180N which only cost me £175 (i say only as you can spend silly money on lights) which is more than good enough for hammering through the woods at top speed. As far as i'm concerned it's taken me all year to get into shape, and i'll be dambed if i am going to let a bit of darkness, cold, wind and rain stop me now!

Andy.
  • Iain W
    Iain W Posts: 26
    Spinning is pretty good. I do one of these classes every week. Running is good, but it is outside in the cold and dark over the winter, making it about as much fun as plucking nasal hair on some nights. Turbo training is OK too, and at least you are cycling, though personally I'd prefer to go to the gym. It's more sociable for a start, and the facilities are better than anything you can get at home.

Cardio training is good to keep your CV fitness up in the cold dark months. So cross trainer, treadmill, stepper and exercise bikes are worth doing, and varying the type of exercise stops it being so boring. Aerobics classes are good too once you get over the embrassment of being bad at it to start. The down side is you might start to like the camp, cheesy dance music they play. You also have the option of working on your strength and muscle tone. Weights, or more structured like body pump classes are good. Don't forget swimming either as a good all rounder, though not using the sae muscles as cycling
  • for working the same muscles as cycling try the rowing machine, downside is that you'll end up hugely deformed as you never work other muscles, i'd recommend a bit of running to keep everything else working nicely.
  • jackmcd
    Thanks again all - some great tips

I'll keep riding on sunday afternoons and love getting muddy, but as for spending hundreds on kit to go out on cold wet windy winter evenings...
    I realise I will get 0/10 from the purists out there but I only live about 100yards from the nice warm leisure centre gym!

cheers