Cyclist pushed off his bike by car passenger

MadammeMarie
MadammeMarie Posts: 621
edited November 2007 in Campaign
This happened in Bromley, Kent! I really hope they catch the bastard, but even if they catch him, i get the feeling he'll get away with a slap in the wrist.. :evil:

http://tinyurl.com/ywj8zr

KENT RIDER SUFFERS SERIOUS SPINAL INJURIES WHEN CAR OCCUPANT PUSHES HIM OFF HIS BIKE
Home » News » KENT RIDER SUFFERS SERIOUS SPINAL INJURIES WHEN CAR OCCUPANT PUSHES HIM OFF HIS BIKE
Monday 29th October 2007 - Keith Bingham

POLICE in Bromley, Kent, are searching for the occupant of a car who leaned out and pushed 59-year-old Beckenham cyclist Tony Barrett off his bike, causing him serious neck and back injuries. The police are concerned that this may not have been isolated case and spoke of another reported incident in the area.

This particular attack happened on Shire Road, Keston, at about noon on Sunday, October 21, and made the front page of the local issue of “newshopper”.

At first it was thought Barrett could be paralysed. He was taken by ambulance to the Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough.

Barrett, who took up cycling this year, was out riding with friend Bob Bragginton who had got a little way ahead and had stopped to wait for him.

“A lady in a car stopped and asked me if I was waiting for another cyclist,” Bragginton told Cycling Weekly. “When I said yes, she said there had been an accident with a car. I hurried back and found Tony by the side of the road.”

Barrett said a car went by him and he felt two hands push him. When he fell he hit his head and blacked out. Bromley police are appealing for witnesses to call investigating officer Detective Sergeant James Herron on 020 8284 8844. Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.

DS Herron told Cycling Weekly, “We are particularly interested in speaking with the lady driver, to clarify exactly what she saw. This is a very serious incident and if we catch the person who did this they are facing a charge of GBH.”

He added that Shire Road towards Down, where the incident took place, is a local 'rat run' attracting fast moving vehicles.

It's so bad, he said, that if they were to put up a sign appealing for witnesses, it wouldn't be read because to slow down would risk being hit from behind. The “Newshopper” story referred to another incident in the area, reported by a CTC member who was pushed off the road after someone in a car shouted at him. That was near The Spinning Wheel, in Westerham. In this case the rider was shaken up but got off lightly with scratches.

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Agree maddammemarie, these sort of events are shocking , totally stupid and unfortunatly most often the culprit gets away with it. In my time on the bike I've had beer, tomatoes and drink cans thrown at me from moving cars.The bast**ds get away as if happens so quickly, by the time It registers what's going on they are too far away to read their number plate.One day I'll get my revenge, get their number and won't bother calling the police to get even, I'll just sort things out myself.Really hope this poor bloke is ok and makes a full recovery.
  • hayesu
    hayesu Posts: 138
    This happened a couple of miles away from me. The road is indeed a race track. It used to be 60mph but a few years ago the limit was lowered to 40 and some rumble strips laid. It hasn't had much effect and I avoid cycling along it, though it leads to some very scenic lanes. This is a shocking incident and I hope poor Mr Barrett makes a good recovery.
    Not far away in Downe village, we got aload of abuse from a loudmouth in a 4 x 4 vehicle which frankly was far to large to be driven down such roads. He'd been stuck very briefly behind two other riders who were not in our group but we reported him to the police and his details are now on record.
  • Is this the same road as Shire Lane?

There are some lovely roads around Keston and Down, but Shire Lane is not one I'd be comfortable cycling down. It's barely large enough for 2 cars with hundreds of blind turns, yet it's a race track most hours of the day.
  • hayesu
    hayesu Posts: 138
    Yes.
    It's also close to Westerham Road, the main road down from Bromley to Biggin Hill, and scene of something like 18 accidents this year. There are 2 or 3 bends in the road which is a gentle downhill and I think now a 30 mph zone, down from 40 mph previously.
    Some motorists claim it's a dangerous road. The council has been given a wad of money to install a few flashing 'slow down' signs in an attempt to protect the chronically incompetent from themselves and other road users.
  • Michuel
    Michuel Posts: 269
    hayesu wrote:
    Not far away in Downe village, we got aload of abuse from a loudmouth in a 4 x 4 vehicle which frankly was far to large to be driven down such roads. He'd been stuck very briefly behind two other riders who were not in our group but we reported him to the police and his details are now on record.

Do the police keep a record of such reports?

2 months ago I took the license number of a motorist who hit me (no injury) and Surrey police asked me if I wished to prosecute or no action. They checked the number plate if there were other outstanding questions on it. Similarly I caught a child stealing from my garage and was given the same choice. If no prosecution no further action.

I'm very sorry for the cyclist in this incident. Often it's not possible to avoid riding on the roads where these incidents occur.