New to this road riding lark...

Denny69
Denny69 Posts: 206
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Aye oop! I'm new to Road riding and I have just bought a SCR4 on Tuesday this week and can safely say I've been bitten by the bug!!! I normally ride MTB but my car is off the road and I hate riding/commuting MTB on the road.

The other reason I bought it is to lose a bit of weight ( I'm currently 20st+) with average fitness so I'm looking to seriously improve both of these things!!

Well that's it....had me 10p worth. :D:wink:
Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    saw a pic of your bike in another thread Denny, looks well smart. Are you going to keep the cycling up over the winter months? Have you any particular targets to reach next year or is it more to improve your fitness and a little weight loss?What sort of mileage are you hoping to reach on your rides next year?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You'll soon loose the excess - I've lost almost 2 stone in a few months....so keep at it..
  • Denny69
    In response Ash68 I'm looking to lose A LOT of weight and my goals for next year are to just ride as far as I can, winter wise...yup I'll be out and about as I use the bike to commute to work which is a little under 4 miles door to door, best part is I'm seeing the difference already, when I started to commute on my MTB it was a15 - 20 minute ride....this morning I posted a 12.06.....impressed? you bet your ass I was, funny thing is I knew it was quick so I suppose you could say my target is to get quicker, I want to be doing at least 10 minutes by mid/late Dec.

If I can manage a 12 minute on the way home I'd be happy too as it's ALL uphill!!!! I currently clock 16 - 17 mins!!!

Mileage wise....I suppose a realistic target would be 50 miles in a day ride by about March, If I can do that before then well that'll be a bonus, and 30 miles or so in a couple of hours

Happy riding

Denny
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    denny, Sounds like you know what you're doing and have set yourself some good targets. I've no doubt you'll reach them. Nothing like a new bike to keep you motivated.Pleased your not a fair weather cyclist. The winters never that bad once your outside and warmed up, Nothing like a few miles on a crisp, frosty morning. :lol:
  • Denny69
    I never used to be an all year cyclist but like you say "nothing like a new bike" plus as soon as I got it my credit card took a severe beasting on wiggle as I ordered some winter gear i.e. tights, gloves etc!!! so I think I'll be out anytime I can.

I can't get out as much as I want as the missus works on a weekend if I'm not working then I look after my little son (10 months) not that it bothers me just means I have to work harder on my rides!!!

Looking to join a local club so when I do get out I'm with people who'll drive me on!

Happy riding

Denny
  • ndodd
    ndodd Posts: 54
    im coming back to, about 20 years ago use to ride with local club and do 10 mile time trials then hit the pubs and clubs as you do when you are young got into mountain bkes in my mid 20s became a dad so my brill gt zasker with pace forks got sold. couple of years later got another mbt now with more time on my hands feel the need to be a roadie again