MTB shoes....

errorist
errorist Posts: 169
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Just crossing over from the dark side of MTBing and am about to spend a few quid on a new road bike.

In an effort to economise I'm intending to use my MTB SPDs and shoes on the bike until I can afford some proper road stuff. I'm a little concerned this might be bad for my knees etc. Someone told me road clipless pedals have more float...?

Any advice greatfully received!

Comments

• Should be ok, I use SPDs all the time with no detriment to my knees. Besides which, you can walk in mtb shoes due to the recessed cleats. In fact, I've just ordered some Specialized Defroster mtb shoes from Wiggle for my winter outings.

Bill
  • Nope. Perfectly fine.

I use Crank Bros MTB pedals on both my bikes.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • I can't understand how anyone that uses their road bike for commuting can manage without recessed cleats. I'm always having to walk somewhere in my cycling shoes.
    I've heard of cleat covers for other systems, but surely they're uncomfortable to walk any distance??
    I even worry about my SPD cleats being damaged from walking on uneven surfaces.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Commuting in road pedals......Depends upon your commute - if you can get home to bike shed without any walking then fine.....I used to have to change into my normal shoes, then walk from the bike sheds to the office, then get changed. Same going home, get changed, put normal shoes back on, walk to bike, change shoes - a right faff...

If you have some walking to do and you are commuting on a regular basis on the road bike, then mtb spd's are the way to go, plus they are quicker to clip in