Timely lighting up time reminder.

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Like many cyclists on this forum all my rides are to timed routines and todays mid afternoon ride of two hours got me back home just before five o'clock. I was aware that the clocks going back an hour last week would mean it getting dark around this time but I was caught out by not having lights with me by finding most of the cars on the road were using lights from just after four o'clock. So if you are going out over the next few weeks on an afternoon ride take your lights with you so you don't get caught out.

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Personally I think that these are guidelines to be used sensibly.

Whilst the requirement is about half an hour after sunset and turn off about half an hour prior to sunrise, this is what you could possibly argue with a Policeman and get away with it.

My view is much simpler. If a light will help because it is a cloudy damp and dim afternoon use one - even if it is not the "correct time". Look at other traffic and shops - you will see what I mean

I always have lights in my bag as all it needs is an unwell patient, a staff problem or an equipment failure and I am two hours late going home. I use a Hope HID as my main light with a Dinotte set front as a backup in flashing mode, and a Dinotte rear that have more than sufficient time for my journeys and simply put them on the bike as I leave.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I don't even look at the lighting up times but go by the premise that if the cars have their lights on then so should I .
    Luke
  • Lucky Luke wrote:
    I don't even look at the lighting up times but go by the premise that if the cars have their lights on then so should I .

Ditto this guy. The new reviews that are out about powerful lights on BR dont really mention which would be suitable for roadie use. Can anyone give me any pointers?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    It's down to legality!

I use Dinotte lighting

(5w front) and the rear tail light which is stunningly effective, both are incredibly smalll and suitable for any bike. I also use a a Hope HID (50 watt equivalent) for a few stretches.

However these are all illegal as the main lighting!

What you need to do is have a front and rear light that comply with the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, and then beef this up with the "supplementary" lighting

Dinotte lighting:

40-2407-NCL-MOUNTED.jpg

Dinotte rear light pattern:

TAIL_2_large.jpg

Hope HID:

9186.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • T800
    T800 Posts: 672
    I commute on my touring bike and my lights are often on at times when car lights have yet to switched on, thanks to the light sensors in them. The sensor in the front light also results in the rear mudguard light going on. The light on my rear rack is also controlled by a light/motion sensor, but it needs to be a little darker before it switches on.

Grey, cloudy mornings and afternoons will see the lights go on without me needing to remember to switch them on or off.
    Lucky Luke wrote:
    I don't even look at the lighting up times but go by the premise that if the cars have their lights on then so should I .
    So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.
  • Droops
    Droops Posts: 204
    Do not use car drivers as a guide to lighting up. There are a lot of very stupid car drivers who are more focussed on their HiFi / text messaging / phone calls / overtaking etc., etc. than on assessing lighting conditions.
    Even when the driver does decide to light up, just see how many cars do you see being driven in dark conditions with just parking lights (don't think of them as "side" lights) on? Tell me, what is the "thinking" behind that? If it's dark enough to put lights on, then put LIGHTS on!
    Here endeth the slightly off-topic rant!
    On a slightly more on-topic note, with bike light batteries lasting for ever these days, my personal feeling is to switch lights on sooner rather than later.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Droops wrote:
    On a slightly more on-topic note, with bike light batteries lasting for ever these days, my personal feeling is to switch lights on sooner rather than later.

Definitely agree with that. There have been a few times this last couple of weeks where its been light in the early mornings, but where I've given idiot drivers the benefit of a blinky 1/2 watt rear light so they stand a chance of seeing me through their misted / iced windows!

Rufus.
  • Recommended lighting. Battery front, depending on your budget Busch & Muller Ixon IQ or one of the new MaXX lights from Exposure. RR solution B&M Big Bang if this isn't enough light buy a Halogen fog lamp from Halfords and put a car battery on your rack! Rear battery, Smart 7 LED 3 function. Dynamo any of the IQ series from B&M with a hub dynamo. Trying all sorts of stuff now I can get to work by bike (I was a lightweight and considered 30miles each way a bit far). Slap straps anything to be seen. Running an Ixon IQ with a BLT Firewire as backup/pool lighting. The BLT is not bright enough on its' own but it provides a good pool around the focused beam of the Ixon. Trying to convince myself that I havent got £550 for a Big Bang but losing at the moment.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Cunobelin wrote:
    It's down to legality!

I use Dinotte lighting ....

How do you find the Dinotte rear light in terms of how it looks from more than 20 metres behind?
    I'm curious to know if it's better than the Cateye LD1100, as it looks like most of the illumination hits the road rather than fanning out higher up.

I agree with leaving lights on longer now - There used to be a time when they'd only last a single ride - Now it's a no brainer.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Droops wrote:
    Do not use car drivers as a guide to lighting up. There are a lot of very stupid car drivers who are more focussed on their HiFi / text messaging / phone calls / overtaking etc., etc. than on assessing lighting conditions.
    Even when the driver does decide to light up, just see how many cars do you see being driven in dark conditions with just parking lights (don't think of them as "side" lights) on? Tell me, what is the "thinking" behind that? If it's dark enough to put lights on, then put LIGHTS on!
    Here endeth the slightly off-topic rant!

what a load of rubbish - do you even drive?

There is often a time and place for 'side lights' - and thats what they are btw - parking lights only operate on one side of the car and are activated by stopping, turning the engine off and then pushing your indicator stalk to the side you want to illuminate. Side lights serve to make the car more visible on the road.

Personally I use these 'side-lights' all the time - yep every time I drive. This comes from riding a motorbike where sidelights (or daytime running lights as theyare referred to) is recommended - but even in a big shiny BMW SUV i worry about not getting seen!!

incidentaly - daytime running lights have been 'compulsory' for bikes made after 2003 - not compulsory in law, but you don't get a choice - there is no switch - they just come on!! and scandinavian cars have had them pre-wired for a long long time