Size issues...

errorist
errorist Posts: 169
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Does anybody have any experience of Giant SCR sizing?

I'm 5ft 11.5 to be precise! and am about to buy a mail order SCR 1.0. I sat on a medium (apparently approx 53cm) in a bike shop today and found the reach a little streched and had pressure on the front of the saddle. The only sizes the shop I am buying from are 46.5, 50 and 55.5. I know there are lots of variables but does anybody have any advice!!

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Errorist wrote:

I'm 5ft 11.5 to be precise! and am about to buy a mail order SCR 1.0. I sat on a medium (apparently approx 53cm) in a bike shop today and found the reach a little streched and had pressure on the front of the saddle. The only sizes the shop I am buying from are 46.5, 50 and 55.5. I know there are lots of variables but does anybody have any advice!!

Yes

1. Don't take sweets from strangers

2. Be careful if the phone rings when you are doing the ironing

oh sorry you meant about bike sizing - sorry can't help you there
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • errorist
    Wise words, I'd add look both ways before crossing the road to that too.
  • I'm almost exactly the same height as you, and have a medium SCR3. Fits me just fine, but... my legs are a little longer relative to my torso than average, so I needed a shorter top tube. When I sat on the large, it too felt a little stretched out as well.

But, you probably not the same size (legs, arms, torso, riding style) as me. Around this height and you could be either a large or a medium. You are much better trying out some options in person than getting sizing advice on a web forum.

You might want to look into a ladies large SCR (they look the same), they have a shorter top tube than the men's large, but a longer seat tube than the fella's medium.
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I'm pretty much the same as you, and have a SCR3 Medium, and find the fit perfect.
  • 5 11 is a 57.5cm top tube as a rough guide.

Base your sizing around that.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    If it's uncomfortable then don't buy it. If the shop doesn;t have other sizes then find another shop that does, and which is willing to fit the bike to you properly.

Everyone's body size is different so the fact that someone else the same size as you is happy on a medium does not mean it is OK for you.

The shop should also be able to let you change stem length and height to see if that makes things better. If they won't do that, go elsewhere.
  • errorist
    Thanks for the advice guys. Definitely helped me make my descisions on this bike.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Errorist wrote:

Yes! Go somewhere else where they have a size that will fit you! It's a Giant so you will get one in your size no probs.
  • I'm 5ft 11 & a half. I have a long upper body, quite a long reach & am very athletic for my age. I am between sizes with Giant SCR. I have been riding an SCR2 for 18 months which is an L, but found it marginally small. I have the seat fully back & find myself riding off the rear of the seat. I've recently bought a new SCR C4 & that is an XL. I've just had a shorter stem fitted this afternoon & it felt perfect. I'm riding twice this weekend, will post next week. Difficult is'nt it, to find somewhere that fits you up just right. It's a serious issue & you're right to be concerned. These bikes cost a lot & it's important to get/find the right advice. All the best.
  • Well, having cycled twice on it this weekend, the fit is absolutely perfect. It rides like a dream, made to measure. I am very pleased with the new bike. Would recommend it.