Bottom bracket shell

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited November 2007 in Road general
Does anyone know a shop that can handle brazing up a bb shell and recutting it to 24 tpi. I have a Raleigh Twenty with 26 tpi threads and a 77mm bb shell.

I know I could go the Phil Wood route but this is expensive.

SJSC quoted me £25 but the shipping whacks it up and the cost could also rise when they get hold of it.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you asked Argosracing?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I believe Shimano do a BB that expands to fill the gap and doesn't actually use the thread. Particularilly useful if you have an old Viscount Aerospace. Let me know if a) that makes sense and b) you want details of where to get one. (I'll ask my mate, he has a number off Viscounts)
  • GaryGkn
    Sounds like a route worth exploring. 26 tpi threads stink unless everyone else has them.
  • I'll see him later as it's our Moto Morini Riders Club meeting in the pub tonight. I'll try and reply with details tomorrow.
  • I too have a Raleigh Twenty which I eventually hope to resurrect. In terms of the bottom bracket I thought maybe the YST/Acor BB may be suitable as it is threadless.
    Currently on sale for £13.75 from www.byercycles.co.uk.
    Don't know if it would solve the problem, but it may be worth considering.

P.S. the link to byercycles doesn't seem to work and I dont know how to put it right ! :oops:
  • DnPardoe wrote:
    P.S. the link to byercycles doesn't seem to work and I dont know how to put it right ! :oops:

remove the full stop after uk

www.byercycles.co.uk

That ought to do it :D

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • That's the one..................
  • GaryGkn
    Okay Sheldon has stopped selling that bb as it has quality issues. Also you needs to have expensive work done to the shell. It was worth considering as the Phil route is annoying.