Convert 2005 Marin Highway One hybrid

option_click
option_click Posts: 169
edited October 2007 in Workshop
Apologies, bit of a long one this, but please bear with me!

I've weighing up the possibility of converting my Highway One to 'road spec', to include drop bars, brake lever/shifters etc...

The bike came with a fairly high spec form the factory:

Front derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
Rear derailleur: Shimano 105
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, Power Glide II, 9 speed 12-26
Crankset: FSA Carbon Pro Team Triple, 53/39/30
Brakes: Avid Single Digit with Shimano Power Modulator
Hubs: Shimano WH-R550

I'd like to retain as many of these parts as possible, so can anyone advise on the following:

* Should I/could I retain the Avid V brakes, or would I need to buy cantilevers?
* Would the derailleurs cope with the removal of the smaller ring at the front?
* Are there any brake levers/shifters that will be compatible with the exsiting kit?

thanks in advance

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    why I'm answering this I don't know, as I'm very much not a fan of drops but...

*Should I/could I retain the Avid V brakes, or would I need to buy cantilevers?
    Vs aren't compatible with road STIs, so no. You'd need cantis, mini Vs or a travel agent (but they're crap by all accounts)

* Would the derailleurs cope with the removal of the smaller ring at the front?
    yes, basically. Do you intend to put a different chainset on or just remove the granny ring? If it's the former then a dedicated double front mech will be better. If it's the latter then it makes no sense unless you put a narrower BB on at the same time. Weight of a granny ring is eff all.

*Are there any brake levers/shifters that will be compatible with the exsiting kit?
    To use drops you need STIs. Your mechs will be okay, your brakes not.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Campag Mirage linear pull brakes (like v brakes) will work with STI shifters - £29.50 (Condor fit them to their Heritage tourer, brakes (and bike) got a great review in C+).

You may find you need a shorter stem, if the frame was designed for flat bars the top tube may be long and with drops you may find the reach too far, just a maybe.

As Maddog says, I don't think it is worth getting rid of the granny ring, it might weigh 100g ish - negligeable, and you may still use it on occasions.

I am a fan of drops myself, but to be honest with the cost of doing this (£175 minimum I'd say, for 105 STI's, bars, bar tape, brakes, and maybe stem, more if you need a new BB) you might be better off just buying new (maybe selling the bike to part fund it). A fairly decent road bike like a Specialized Allez can be had for £500 (or less for an '07 model).