Another new bike FAQ!

errorist
errorist Posts: 169
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
I've recently chosen to give up the futile effort of being a mountain biker living in London! As such I've decided to make the most of living near Richmond Park and get myself a road bike with the intention of doing a triathlon/duathlon and possibly some club riding.

I have managed to track down a reasonably priced 07 Scott Speedster S50 with an upgraded Tiagra rear mech. I am aware this is an entry level bike and expect the associated limitations but just wanted some learned opinions on wheather this bike is up to what I want to use it for. My main concern is some the negative comments I've heard about the reliability of Sora components.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Errorist wrote:
    My main concern is some the negative comments I've heard about the reliability of Sora components.

Nothing wrong with Sora or even 2200. Reliability is fine and even if something was to go wrong the parts are really cheap to replace.

Sora just isn't one of the more expensive groupsets, it's just the bike snobs looking down on the entry level groupsets. The 8 Speed set up means, the chains and cassettes are cheaper to replace when they wear out, and they shouldn't wear out anyway due to them being thicker (so I'm lead to believe).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 169
    Thanks for the advice!

I was fairly sceptical about what I'd heard about Sora. Out of interest do you know what groupset Shimano start introducing 9 and 10 speed setups?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tiagra is 9 speed
    105 is 10 speed.

However I think that 2008 Sora might be 9speed - I'm not sure on this though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have a sora bike and an ultegra bike, im not going to lie i prefer the ultegra but the sora is fine.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I had Sora on one of my old bikes and never had any problems with it. Some people have difficulty changing geat with the thumb lever when on the hoods, but I never found this to be too big an issue.
  • My first bike was Sora euipped and it all worked fine.
    I did have to replace the rear mech, cassette, and chain after just 2000 miles though. On the plus side though the parts were very cheap.
  • locko75 wrote:
    My first bike was Sora euipped and it all worked fine.
    I did have to replace the rear mech, cassette, and chain after just 2000 miles though. On the plus side though the parts were very cheap.

Andy?
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • I run on Sora and have had no problems with it, like Eat My Dust said, changing on the drops is a bit tricky, but you get used to it.