anyone in cheshire up for a ride

tim000
tim000 Posts: 718
hi all, is there anyone in the area fancy getting together for a ride one sunday? i live in northwich but can travel elsewhere to meet up . dont mind where we go , i often ride over to macc and up to the cat+fiddle but a change would be nice . anyone interested? tim :mrgreen:

Comments

• nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    will you give me a tow ?
  • tim000
    dont worry nick , im not that fast . on a flat 3 hour ride i average between 16 -17mph, plus riding in a group is easier. i,ll be the one needing the tow. :oops:
  • Tim
    I might be up for a ride if I'm not booked to do DIY, family stuff etc
    Where are u thinking about going?
    Steve
    some bikes and sheep and stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16682367@N00/
  • tim000
    how about the 18 nov .
  • come with weaver valley cc they meet up at the iron bridge in castle (Northwich) full run down of there runs and times can be found here

http://www.weavervalleycc.org.uk/Club%20Runs.html
  • tim000
    dont mind where . i alway head over toward macc for my long rides. then either up to the cat+fiddle or over towards rudyard lake , congleton, then home . i try to stay off the main roads if i can . both ride take about 4 h . there is a cafe stop on the c+f ride but i havent found anywhere on the other one yet , only done it twice.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Tim - I'll send you my bikely route from Holmes Chapel to RuddyHard Lake - including the little road that you have to take down to the lakeside in Rudyard Village to get to the lakeside cafe with hot bacon sarnies. The route back can go over Mow Cop with a fast drop to Congleton or round the back roads past a field with artificial wart hogs, zebras, lions and tigers and bears oh my
  • tim000
    hi , did that ride last tuesday and spotted the zebra. will keep a lookout for the rest next time. :shock: from rudyard lake i go through horton , up to bidulph moor (killer climb) then drop down to astbury then take the back lanes to holmes chappel and home.
  • tim000
    thanks andy . i had thought about going out for a ride with weaver valley but not sure if i want to join a club. i was a member of northwich rowing club for many years so didnt want to get involved with another club. i was hoping for a group ride every now and then. i went out with a group from the cycling plus web site a couple of years ago but not managed to get out with them again and now that sites shut down i thought some of them might be on this site. i will be out for a ride next sunday cheers tim . :D
  • Tim
    Been away and forgot I posted here. Enjoy this weekend(18th), I'm working..I could manage a ride sunday am 25th!!
    Steve
  • tim000
    sorry you cant make the 18 nov . looks like i;m on my own so might bite the bullet and go out with weaver valley :shock: cheers, tim .
  • How was your ride on the 18th? I've become a dry weaher rider since falling off twice in wet weather. I've done the Cheshire Cycle way a few times, but much slower than you - average 12 mph cos Cheshire ISN'T FLAT!! hah.

Cycled past Tegg's Nose Country Park the other week and in the new hikers barn there are free DVDs on Cross Country cycling following a ranger cycling route 71 across Cheshire - even slower than me. The DVD does give you interesting historical background, but two days to do 61 miiles?

Geoff
  • Just spotted this post. I’m based Holmes Chapel. Get out when family commitments etc allow. Did anyone / is anyone, organising a Cheshire ride out?
  • zeroshoddy
    I've PMed you back
  • Pmed back
  • tim000
    hi zeroshoddy, i live in northwich and cycle through goostrey and out towards siddington on most of my longer rides (45+60). i went out last sat as the weather looked better than sun . i drove to the yellow broom on the goostrey/chelford roadand started from there so i could cut out some of the flat start to my ride and ride more in the hills of the peak district. i did a hilly 52 miles through siddington , skirting round macc to miss the traffic the up to the cat +fiddle ,then to buxton , right up axe adge(always a head wind along here , i had to keep peddleing down the other side). then i turned right in to flash , onto gradbach,wildboarclough, macc forrest then headed home via sutton end, oaken clough and siddington . the worst part was def axe edge. thats the first time i,ve done that ride , before i,ve just cycled from home up to the cat+fiddle . if your up for a ride let me know , but it might not be for 3/4 weeks as i,m busy the next few sundays and i work most saturdays. cheers, tim . :P
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    cheshire is brilliant for cycling, its in the perfect location to head into the hills, or have a flat spin.

llangollen is a fantastic ride.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • steve23 wrote:
    cheshire is brilliant for cycling, its in the perfect location to head into the hills, or have a flat spin.

llangollen is a fantastic ride.

My fave Llangollen from my home in Chester is via Higher Kinnerton, slog up to Pontybodkin then A5104 - fairly quiet in the week if you dodge cement lorries. Then as the road gives you wonderful views over Moel Garegog I've found a quiet lane that brings you to the A542 a couple of miles before Horseshoe Pass. Rub shoulders with all the motorbikers at Ponderosa Cafe at the summit before freewheeling the remaining 4 miles into Llangollen. ( I know I should cycle hiard down the hill but I'm sooo lazy).

If I feel fit my alternative route is the steeper one from Chester to Kinnerton then on up to Hope Mountain, Minera and World's End. Terrific.

You've inspired me, Steve, I'll do it tomorrow!

Geoff