Any road riders in the Aberdeen area?

Any road riders in the Aberdeen area?

I was just wondering because i'm the only person that I know of in my area that seems to go road biking and I was hoping to find somebody else so that we could share tips and routes etc.

I was thinking of joining a local cycling group, but because i'm farely new to road biking myself I would rather cycle with just a couple of other people before diving into a whole new group of people lol. I don't really like being the uninformed person in a group....lol

Comments

• noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    Aye- me (Colin)

Live in BoD

Work in Tullos :(

Commute every day and get out every weekend on road bike

Average about 5-5,500 miles a year

I'm not fast but enjoy sportives and will be doing Bealach next May.

I sometime go out with Malcolm who faster and younger than me :roll: , so gives me someone to chase up the hills- tend to do 20-40 mile rides , usually Sunday 8.30 from BoD- give us a shout.

Have also thought many time about joining Deeside Thistle ( biggest club by a long way) and may even do so next Spring

Where are you?
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • I'm living in Aberdeen, at the top of North Anderson Drive.

I only got my first road bike a few months ago, which is a cheap and cheerful Dawes Giro 300, but sadly since uni started up again and I having to work in the evenings I haven't spent much time on it recently :(

My main day for going out cycling is usually a Sunday. I like heading up the lang stracht and out towards Westhills since its the quickest way out of Aberdeen from my house. I'm not exactly fast though lol. That's why I think i'd rather start off cycling with like 1 or 2 people to get an idea of how to go faster etc plus I wouldn't mind some actual help from somebody that can use clipless pedals properly to learn how to use mine since i'm still really paranoid haha.

I was thinking of joining the deeside thistle myself, but since im always working i'm not sure if i'd ever be able to make any of the rides :(

By the way my name is Ross and i'm 18 hehe :)
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    http://www.deeside.org/

give them a shout Ross, they are very welcoming- esp. for young riders like you (and not me)
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • I'm a bit late replying to this post. I usually head out on a Sunday morning from Aberdeen for a couple of hours on the bike. If there is anyone else heading out around that time I would love some company. If nothing else than to help me get out the door earlier. I usually head out west on the Lang Stracht or north or South Deeside roads but open to alternative routes. Not looking for an all day thing just a morning run.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I am a member of Deeside Thistle. There are several different rides at weekends, some Sat and some Sun. You can find details on the website Colin posted. I have been out a few times with Colin and a few others from this forum. Watch out for post about informal rides in the summer from Pingus, Noggin, Cyclemonkey, Shen, Eskimo Joe etc.

You could also contact Sandy Lindsay on knockies@aol.com He is the club Sec for Deeside Thistle, very helpful guy.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • I'm a bit late replying to this post. I usually head out on a Sunday morning from Aberdeen for a couple of hours on the bike. If there is anyone else heading out around that time I would love some company. If nothing else than to help me get out the door earlier. I usually head out west on the Lang Stracht or north or South Deeside roads but open to alternative routes. Not looking for an all day thing just a morning run.

I head along the lang stracht too since my house is right at the bottom of it.

U still looking for some company? lol
  • Yeah sure am.

Went out on Sunday morning around 9am. Headed out by Countesswells to Wester Ord (it was a little bit icy) then down to Culter then out on the back roads to Drumoak and back in on the South Deeside Road. Would have went a bit further but my feet were cold.

If your up for a Sunday morning cycle my email is gregpquinn@hotmail.com.