Puncture!

Tel39
Tel39 Posts: 243
edited November 2007 in MTB beginners
Did something this evening I've not done since I was about 16, fixed a puncture lol
a nice big thorn was the culprit!
39 now so gives you some idea how long ive been away from biking, really getting
into it now though, forgot how much fun it was! Have a Scott YZ4 at the mo but
picking a nice new Fury up in the next few days, cant wait! :D
By the way, in the short time ive been here have found this forum and site
really helpful, keep up the good work guys :)
Vis Unita Fortior

Comments

• fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    Welcome to the forum!
    The fury is an excellent bike by the way.
    If you ever have any problems don't hesitate to ask!
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Haven't fixed a puncture in about 2 years and I ride all the time :?
  • Tel39
    fabienno1 wrote:
    Welcome to the forum!
    The fury is an excellent bike by the way.
    If you ever have any problems don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers for that fabienno1, yeah have read up quite a bit about it and
    been to try one for size, seems a great spec'd bike for the dosh, just
    looking forward to giving it a blast around the highways, byways and
    bridleways :) Do you have one? if so how've you found it eg the
    shocks brakes and frame?? one point i was looking for on a new bike was
    one lighter than mine and the Fury does seem pretty light.....
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • Tel39
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Haven't fixed a puncture in about 2 years and I ride all the time :?

Just to say Ciaran500, it all came flooding back, the bent spoons etc lol but dont fancy getting one on a regular basis :) lets hope its another 2yrs for you eh
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    I had my first puncture in 1400 miles tonight down an unlit country road - fixed it by bikelight watched by cows
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I've patched up about 4 punctures in the last couple of months. All on other people's bikes!! Serves me right for being the only one to carry a tool kit :roll:
  • fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    No I don't have one but my friends dad has the kraken and considering that it is less expensive than the fury, and that this is also a very good bike, then it makes sense going off the spec, etc that it is a decent bike, better perhaps than more popular branded names in this bracket.
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • welcome to the forum man! :wink:

The Fury is top bike and won't let you down. There are a few on here that are owners and have nothing but praise for the rig.

As mentioned before, welcome and if you need anything just holla!

:D
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    i use halo inner tubes with an old one with a puncture cut up so it is thicker. it has also got slime in it. since ive had my mantra (may) its never punctures but i have torn the side wall on my tioga's but the tubes survived :lol:
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Oh dear, we carry a couple of new inner tubes with us and haven't patched up a puncture for years which is a bit wasteful really :oops:

Welcome to the forum and let us know how your first ride goes on the Fury which I have heard really good things about also - apparently it is a really nice handling frame and goes up hills like a goat due to its weight class.

All the best.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i've had two punctures since i've had my new bike one was a very sharp stone that i stupidly removed 20 miles from home (pssshhhhh oh carp) and the other in the rear was a massive thorn which sealed itself after losing about 10psi. it was a good excuse though to remove the raleigh tubes my bike came with and replace with some light-mid bontrager tubes, these i will fix rather than replace when i get my next punctures but it's just so easy to replace a tube on the trail/road that i'll still replace but then in my shed repair later.
  • FENNER
    FENNER Posts: 94
    Fit SLIME self healing tubes and your worries will be over :wink: I had a split in my rear tyre about 4 rides ago and I ended up with green slime up my back,all over the rear of the frame and even a few lumps on my handlebars and it still sealed :o riden on it ever since just checked the tyre and moved it round a bit so that the split and the tube damage didnt line up and its been fine !! Got them from fleabay 2 for £6.99 !!!!! just got 2 spare ones as well . would be rude not to at that price

Laters
  • Tel39 welcome to bikeradar (new myself)

I use UST Maxxis High Roller on the front and a panaracer Fire XC pro UST rear, I had my 1st puncture ever with tubeless tyres earlier this year (two years) and it went down over a period of 40 mins to about 15 psi, fitted a tube in the end as sick of stopping to blow it up every 20 mins or so to keep at riding pressure.

I had tubed tyres on my old 2004 rockhopper, I had a front tyre pinch flat at speed which folded the front wheel under and I slammed on my coller bone (breaking it), moral of my story, You cant beat Tubeless or Slime! slow or no punctures, BONUS!

Dunker, Nice Merlin Malt

http://www.27gears.com
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I've got a Fury 07 and it really is a great bike for the money.
    The only criticism is the fat tyres are crap on anything but hardpack (so UK in otherwords :roll: )
    And the tyres are AR$E to get off the rims :evil:
    And the rim tape is straight from a skinny wheel road bike :shock: 1st job=fit some decent rim tape

Sort these things and then you've got a bike that makes your grin meet your ears!!! :twisted:
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    HI welcome to the forum! as someone relatively new back in the game have found this really useful as well!

Happy Riding!
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    How do tubeless tyres help prevent punctures? I don't geddit!

Surely if something goes through a tube then it will go through a tyre?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question. I'm a newb too!
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Tubeless tyres are filled with a 'self healing' slime type material that in theory fills and seals any holes caused by thorns etc. I'm not sure how this differs from a slime inner tube as it seems to be the same theory to me, just without the inner tube.
  • of course slime filled innertubes are a great deal.
    always take a small pump still though as you will lose a little air
  • Hey Tel39, just like you I have been out the saddle for years and just getting back to it again at the age of 36. I read this site a lot before deciding what bike to get and found it immensely authorative. I too chose the Fury and I think it is a good bike, a little hard to tell through the lack of riding it at the mo though. I sincerely hope that your one is better set up and put together than mine is when you get it though.

Look forward to comparing notes in the coming months.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Remember; add some decent rim tape or you will be learning how to fix punctures all over again :wink:
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    with tubeless then, if you get a puncture do you have to get a new tyre or is good to ride after the sealent stuff has worked? does that make it puncture proof then?