Budget Road bike

Mettan
Mettan Posts: 2,103
edited November 2007 in Road beginners
Hi -

I'm thinking of getting a Dawes Giro 300 as a basic budget road bike (I can't stretch to a Spesh Allez or GIant SCR 3 etc, etc). The complete spec for the Giro 300 at Winstanleys below:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/index ... 7&brandID=

I'm just wondering though in "practical terms" what is a 7-speed Double 52/39 - 13/28 with Shimano 2200 (ie the Dawes) going to feel like relative to an 8-speed Sora bike for £400-500? I'm looking forward to take part in some Sportives in 2008, and if that goes ok I might join a club. Back to the Dawes specs though, is there anything in there that's particularly "unhelpful" or should it be reasonably competent enough to take part in a Sportive?

(I currently ride a Dawes Discovery Sport Hybrid bike - reasonably nippy, but am starting to crave a full-on Road bike :))

Thanks

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Have you had a look at the Decathlon Sport 2 ? £270 Similar sort of bike to the Dawes (Alu frame, steel fork) but with Campag Mirage instead of the sub-Sora equipment on the Dawes.

You might be better going second hand though
  • I have a Giro 300. It is my first road bike and I find it to be a great entry level road bike. I haven't had a single problem with it. Although I have found that I quickly want a better bike. I'm not sure if thats just me though lol.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ste_S wrote:
    Have you had a look at the Decathlon Sport 2 ? £270 Similar sort of bike to the Dawes (Alu frame, steel fork) but with Campag Mirage instead of the sub-Sora equipment on the Dawes.

You might be better going second hand though

Agree with Decathlon, good bikes cheap prices. Theres Halfords aswell which do decent cheap road bikes, though the set up can be a bit hit or miss.

I've got both 2200 and Sora, I can't really see/feel any difference between them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Get some cornflakes and get 10% Bikes and Accessories ,

:lol::lol:
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    If I were you I'd look at maybe getting a better bike secondhand. Post on the classified section of this website and you will no doubt get many offers of people who are looking at getting an upgraded bike or at downsizing for winter. I have seen SCR 3 Giants for £350 now, not sure how much you were willing to spend but one of these will do pretty much all you are hoping too next year and will still be upgradeable if future funds permit.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    The Dawes is a very low spec bike thrown together with lots of unrelated gear some of which is over 10 years old :shock:
    7 speed was obsolete in the early 90's (10 speed was introduced in 2000 )
    It will be heavy unresponsive and impossible to sell when you tire of it in a few weeks time.

Your best bet is to buy a second hand bike that has good equipment ie 9speed or 10 and is in good condition. When you come to upgrade you can either sell it for more or less what you paid for it or if its a good frame just upgrade componants as and when you can afford it.
    Sora is good enough for a first time bike imo I really like the STi shifters and you can get the entire Sora 9 speed groupset for just £150 so it is possible (just ) to build a reasonable bike from new parts
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Is it obsolete if it is still in production? Nothing wrong with 7 speeds at all.

Have a look at the Orbea Larrau if you can. That has a good spec. The Giro 400 or Giro 300 2005 have better specs and are prettier :)

If you can find a 2003ish Giro 400, they came with Campag ;)
  • Mettan
    Thanks for the info guys - I'll keep that in mind.

Thinking about it, I might be better off with a Triple at the moment (hills) - bit unsure though. I'll look into it more over the coming weeks.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Look at the ribble winter trainer too.
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    Definitely second the Decathlon recommendation. They don't sell online, but their website does have the basic details. Shops in London, Brum, Sheffield, Manchester and Notingham. Also any decent sized town in France.

Very helpful and good VfM. Range of prices from £200 to £3,000 . I have done over 1000 miles on my £299 7.2 ( no longer available ) and nothing has gone wrong yet.
  • peanut wrote:
    The Dawes is a very low spec bike thrown together with lots of unrelated gear some of which is over 10 years old :shock:
    7 speed was obsolete in the early 90's (10 speed was introduced in 2000 )
    It will be heavy unresponsive and impossible to sell when you tire of it in a few weeks time.

I wish I knew that before I bought my Giro 300. I loved it since it was my first ever road bike, but i'm already wanting a newer and better one but I can't seem to get the cash together :(

I might just ask for money this xmas and look into getting a new bike :)
  • Mettan
    After a bit more thought I probably will go with a budget Triple (don't want any excess knee strain on longer hilly rides) - one new option would be the Claude Butler San Remo Triple - re second hand on Ebay or whatever am a bit bothered by the possibility of creaking BB's and Cassette play etc - obviously that can be sorted with more cash but might just keep it straightforward to start with, with a new bike.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    The Decathlon Sport 2 mentioned above comes as a triple (50/39/30 iirc). I got one about six weeks ago (as a first road bike) & am pleased with it so far & I think is worth a look, however you do need to be able to get to a shop.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Look at the ribble winter trainer too.

good suggestion Alan. I was going to suggest this frame myself but wasn't sure if it was possible to build it up for the OP's budget.Its a great price for the spec .
    It would be a usefuol exercise to build it as a budget road bike and see what it would cost.
  • Mettan
    I have a Giro 300. It is my first road bike and I find it to be a great entry level road bike. I haven't had a single problem with it. Although I have found that I quickly want a better bike. I'm not sure if thats just me though lol.

Hi Ross - if you don't mind me asking, did you go for the 50cm or 55cm bike? - I'm 5'10 - 5'11 and am just wondering whether the 50 or 55 would be more suitable - I'm veering towards the larger 55 to try and get a "comfortable" setup with the handlebar and saddle height similar-ish - the larger bike might mean that I don't have to get a longer handlebar stem to go with the enevitble saddle height rising.

Thanks
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    honestly, the best value, cheapest road bikes, most suitable starter bikes are found at decathlon. they are much better value than branded entry level bikes.

i had a 7.1 for ages back in the day. amazing thing. cost about a quid.
  • Mettan wrote:
    I have a Giro 300. It is my first road bike and I find it to be a great entry level road bike. I haven't had a single problem with it. Although I have found that I quickly want a better bike. I'm not sure if thats just me though lol.

Hi Ross - if you don't mind me asking, did you go for the 50cm or 55cm bike? - I'm 5'10 - 5'11 and am just wondering whether the 50 or 55 would be more suitable - I'm veering towards the larger 55 to try and get a "comfortable" setup with the handlebar and saddle height similar-ish - the larger bike might mean that I don't have to get a longer handlebar stem to go with the enevitble saddle height rising.

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure but I think I have the 55cm bike. I'm around the same height as you (maybe a little taller) and the man in the shop where I bought my bike suggested what size of bike I go for.

You should maybe get yourself measured just to make sure :)