Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Finally got started

misterbenmisterben Posts: 193
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
Well, the Friday before last I finally got myself started on the commute to work (delayed initially by lack of lights, and then by a torn muscle from playing football :( ). I missed last Thursday due to a dental appointment and thus working from home, but I've done every other day.

For those in Glasgow, I'm doing a (according to my cheapy computer) 4 mile each way commute from Whiteinch to Glasgow Central. I've seen quite a few cyclist out, including the obligatory bikes-with-no-lights and RLJs (including a couple who've jumped the lights at the junction with the Expressway in Finnieston, which looks massively dangerous). Feel like it's doing some good for my weight/fitness, although time will tell. Was disappointed to be passed by a small lady on an even smaller folding bike yesterday near the end of my run :(

If you're in Glasgow, I'm the dude with a cheap, black Raleigh mountain bike (front susp, weighs a tonne), huge laptop rucksack on my back, and wearing jogging bottoms that look like they might catch in the chain if I'm not careful.....

Thanks to everyone here who answered my questions in the past couple of months - it really helped cement the idea that it was doable. Oh, and (if you're here) thanks to the guy on the nice red Specialized Allez who spoke to my last Friday - sorry if I got in your way!
mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
JediMoose.org

Posts

  • spasypaddyspasypaddy Posts: 5,731
    use some elastic bands around your legs to stop your trousers getting caught!

    and good luck!
  • Eat My DustEat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    misterben wrote:
    Was disappointed to be passed by a small lady on an even smaller folding bike yesterday near the end of my run :(

    lol, probably better if you didn't mention these episodes!!!
  • A - WA - W Posts: 253
    Congrats on the commute cherry. :lol:

    Keep it up.
    FCN 10
  • RykardRykard Posts: 582
    way to go..
    Was disappointed to be passed by a small lady on an even smaller folding bike yesterday near the end of my run :(

    had one of these last night myself :cry:
    Cheers
    Rich

    A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,549
    misterben wrote:
    If you're in Glasgow, I'm the dude with a cheap, black Raleigh mountain bike (front susp, weighs a tonne), huge laptop rucksack on my back, and wearing jogging bottoms that look like they might catch in the chain if I'm not careful.....

    Not in Glasgow, but check out some cheap relflective ankle bands from Halfrauds and also (classy, this) a cheapie rucsac from Ikea - in fetching black - but holds laptop and gear, good value at about £15

    It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mrchrispymrchrispy Posts: 310
    lol @ old lady

    used to be an old bloke on a bone shaker that would consistantly pass me as if I was stopped. used to drive me mad but it took everything i had just to keep him in sight.
  • misterbenmisterben Posts: 193
    mrchrispy wrote:
    lol @ old lady

    Hey - she wasn't "old", she was "small". But she was riding a folder :( I think she was an experienced commuter ;)
    mrBen

    "Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • TeuchterTeuchter Posts: 102
    What time are you commuting? I ride from Erskine to the city centre (bottom of Blythswood Street for now but I think we're moving office to Cowcaddens soon). I join the cycle track on the north of the Clyde at Bell's Bridge so from there probably follow a similar route to you for a bit.

    I'm not averse to the odd cautious RLJ but I cringe when I see some folk doing it at the junction just down the one you mentioned at Lancefield Quay by the new bridge.

    Did you cycle in today? The office is now covered in my soaking wet cycling gear!
  • Teuchter wrote:
    What time are you commuting? I ride from Erskine to the city centre (bottom of Blythswood Street for now but I think we're moving office to Cowcaddens soon). I join the cycle track on the north of the Clyde at Bell's Bridge so from there probably follow a similar route to you for a bit.

    I leave my house at 7am and get into Central for about 7.25. I don't use the cycle path at the moment - prefer to ride on the road (particularly as my lights are not strong enough to cycle in the pitch black, and sections of the path are (IIRC) unlit)
    I'm not averse to the odd cautious RLJ but I cringe when I see some folk doing it at the junction just down the one you mentioned at Lancefield Quay by the new bridge.

    Ah - not caught anyone there, yet.....
    Did you cycle in today? The office is now covered in my soaking wet cycling gear!

    I've got a dentist appointment today, so I'm working from home ;)
    mrBen

    "Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • TeuchterTeuchter Posts: 102
    misterben wrote:
    I leave my house at 7am and get into Central for about 7.25. I don't use the cycle path at the moment - prefer to ride on the road (particularly as my lights are not strong enough to cycle in the pitch black, and sections of the path are (IIRC) unlit)
    A fair bit earlier than I get there then - I'm normally passing there between 8:00 and 8:45 (depending on how keen I'm feeling to get to work early) and the opposite way about 6pm.

    I know what you mean about the 'cycle path' that is generally just a narrow pavement that is barely wide enough for the predestrians we share it with, without adding cyclists going both directions too. For this reason I get onto the road as soon as I can!
    misterben wrote:
    I've got a dentist appointment today, so I'm working from home ;)
    Never thought I'd see having a dentist appointment as lucky!

    To be honest I still enjoyed the cycle in despite the rain. The only issue I have is what to do with all the wet kit once I get to work! Modern air conditioned offices just don't have enough heat to dry even 'quick drying' gear :(
  • GambatteGambatte Posts: 1,453
    Teuchter wrote:
    Modern air conditioned offices just don't have enough heat to dry even 'quick drying' gear :(

    I've found I don't need heat, with the cycle clothing I've got, the wicking quality just needs a breeze. I've a small fan set up under my desk. Managed to dry my entire kit in a couple of hours
Sign In or Register to comment.