Why can't I get my tyre off the rim?

camvaile
camvaile Posts: 14
edited November 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
This will sound stupid I know but....

I have a puncture, so I've got a new tube to replace the damaged one. The only problem is that I can't get the tyre off the rim. I can't even get the tyre levers (Park Tools TL-1) down between the tyre and the rim. Given that I've used the same procedure to change a tube on my flatmates bike I'm a bit baffled as to why I can't get my tyre off.

Now, am I a complete spastic, or is there another reason why I can't get the tyre away from the rim??
FCN 7 (according to calculator)

Shiny Charge Plug Racer

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does the video tutorial on the front page of this site help?
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    Is the tyre flat? i.e. totally deflated, if not you will have to let some air out of the tube.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Remove the wheel and stand it up, then stand on the rim so the bottom of the tyre squashes into the ground. This gives you more tyre at the top to pull over the rim. Dont do it near the valve though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    camvaile wrote:
    This will sound stupid I know but....

I have a puncture, so I've got a new tube to replace the damaged one. The only problem is that I can't get the tyre off the rim. I can't even get the tyre levers (Park Tools TL-1) down between the tyre and the rim. Given that I've used the same procedure to change a tube on my flatmates bike I'm a bit baffled as to why I can't get my tyre off.

Now, am I a complete spastic, or is there another reason why I can't get the tyre away from the rim??

I know it probably sounds stupid but two tyres of the same stated size (say, 26" x 2,35") from two different manufacturers won't be identical. It's quite common to get tyres that are tight or loose on the rim. i used to run Nokian NBXs, which used to require three tyre levers to remove - the Kenda Blue Grooves which I now run will literally fall off the same rim with the tube fully deflated.

You need to make sure that the the tube is al least 95% deflated, and then you need to squeeze the bead of the tyre into the centre of the rim, breaking the seal. Then you should be able to ge a tyre lever under it and spoon the thing out.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Maybe your mates have run a bead of superglue around the wheel rim!

Get a g-clamp and tighten it up across the tyre, squeezing the tyre walls away from the inside of the wheel rim.

If that doesn't work then who knows!?!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • mybee they are tubless rims or tyres
    try a bit o fairy liquide or wd40 on the rims tyres and leavers
    stephen hall
  • mybee they are tubless rims or tyres
    try a bit o fairy liquid or wd40 on the rims tyres and leavers
    stephen hall