Hotel Belvedere, Riccione (Bike Hotel)

Kayt
Kayt Posts: 17
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
I was sent an e-mail pointing me in the direction of the above hotel.

I have looked at their web-site, and it looks very nice. I would like to take a holiday in Spring in Italy next year. It looks as if there is a lot going on there, even if you do not cycle :oops: There is also the seaside, and a "health/beauty" suite, etc. I would be travelling on my own, but I get the impression that it is a friendly sort of place.

Has anyone been there or can they tell me which edition of CyclingPlus the article(s) appeared in? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    I've been twice Kayt and would thoroughly recommend it. Marina, who runs the hotel, is a force of nature and makes all her guests very welcome. The rest of the staff are very friendly and helpful too.

Riccione is quite an upmarket resort, especially in comparison to RImini just up the coast, and has a lot of shops selling designer labels. The hotel organise a number of excursions which include trips to local places of interest, wine tastings and visits to local food producers so if you don't cycle there is lots to do.

However, the hotel do organised cycling trips every day and this always includes a trip out for novices/beginners so you could go out on one of those if the weather's good. [/i]
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I won the Cycling Plus holiday there earlier this year. I really could not recommend the place strongly enough. The food is incredible and the cycling is awesome. Even if you do not cycle every day, the beach is fabulous and there are a number of places close by that are worth a visit e.g. San Marino, although the guides do take you there on the bike one day. The BBQ at Marion's country home ia a must experience. Do not miss out on this - GO.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Top Place. The owner runs a slick organisation. I took my girlfriend there (she cycles) and she was impressed with the quality/quantity of the food and the quality of the riding out there. the guides are excellent, but you can go out on your own. we did 70 miles a day (last day 90+) and it was mid 70s/low 80s Farenheit every day (early september). If you fly to Rimini, its a free transfer (20 mins), Bologna/Forli/Ancona will cost you. But well worth going (NB. if it rains, it's a just a wet beach resort. You can get the train to Venice - 3 hours, 50 Euros return or Bologna)
    M.Rushton
  • Kayt
    Thank you to you both for replying to my post. It definitely sounds very good. I like a holiday where I can have a few options as to what to do each day. I would like to be by the seaside and have other acitiviies as well, like wine tasting and barbecues etc. I might go in May or early June, so it is not too hot, but would be ok for some time at the pool or on the beach, or being more active. I also presume that as a novice or beginner I would be able to hire a bike for two or three days

I have tried to find the cheap flights mentionned on their web-site, without success. From my Thomas Cook railway timetable, I could fly into either Milan, or Rimini and catch a train to Riccione. Some flights involve one or even two changes of plane and are very expensive. My preference would be to fly from Birmingham, Bristol or Nottingham. Where did you manage to find your flights? I would be grateful for further advice from you. Thank you.
  • mrushton
    Ryan Air/East Mids to Rimini, goes about 3/4 times a week (6.30 dep). My Choice also fly to Rimini from Mcr. The hotel has de Rosa bikes for hire. Normally carbon Avant with triple Campag. Take your own saddle and pedals (poss.seatpost). They should sort your size out by email. £ types of ride normally, Easy, medium and fast. The guides are good at sorting people out,but don't get too ambitious. Best to start easy and build up. Some stunning views out over San Marino/Tavoleto etc
    M.Rushton
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Kayt wrote:
    I have tried to find the cheap flights mentionned on their web-site, without success. From my Thomas Cook railway timetable, I could fly into either Milan, or Rimini and catch a train to Riccione. Some flights involve one or even two changes of plane and are very expensive. My preference would be to fly from Birmingham, Bristol or Nottingham. Where did you manage to find your flights? I would be grateful for further advice from you. Thank you.

It might be a bit early to sort the flights out yet, as the plane seats for spring might not have been released yet by the budget airlines.

Italian trains are heavily subsidized by the government, so tickets are very cheap compared to rip-off Britain, therefore flying to Milan or Forli (rather creatively called "Bologna" by RyanAir) and catching the train from there is an option. There is a useful website for Italian train timetables at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I looked at Riccione last year. The prices are high but everything is included. The only issue for me was that they have set times, I think it was Saturday to Saturday. This made the flight costs more expensive. We could have gone a day early and they would have organised another hotel for one night.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    morrisje wrote:
    I looked at Riccione last year. The prices are high but everything is included. The only issue for me was that they have set times, I think it was Saturday to Saturday. This made the flight costs more expensive. We could have gone a day early and they would have organised another hotel for one night.
    Did you speak to them or take this from the website? I've arrived at the Belvedere mid week before and stayed for a week. They are usually very accomodating in my experience.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Andy,

I spoke to them directly and by email. They were very helpful but with the additional cost of the flight due to travel days and having to be in two hotels it just didn't seem worthwhile. What I did like the look of was the standard of the hotel, food and rides.
    In the end I went with ciclocostablanca.com which was basically one guy who cycles and owns a property in Spain. Cheap and basic but we had a good 5 days.
  • mrushton
    I went Thursday to Thursday. It may appear to be expensive, but the food is top notch both in quality and quantity. there is free wine in the evening and you get your kit washed every day so all these extras make it even better. The rides are as hard as you want to make them. The guides are good and if you want to give them a pasting on the bike (or try!!), they'll take you on (but their first duty is to the group). If you choose to go on your own,the route map has a number of routes to try.This is Nove Colle territory. No big alpine climbs, but some long pulls none the less.
    M.Rushton
  • Kayt
    Thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. It has all been very encouraging and very helpful.

I was thinking of going there perhaps in May, the possibility of warm, dry weather but not too hot. It sounds like there is lots of options of things to do, including some easy cycling.
    Yes, it is too early to book flgihts, but now I know where to start looking when the time comes round.

My other possibility for next year is to the Azores with a company called "Explore".
    Might even fit in both. Thanks everyone for all your help. I will continue following this thread in case anyone has anything further to add.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Kayt
    My advice would be to arrange your bik e hire before you go. It can be very busy at that time of year. Also if you are a beginner do stick to the easier rides on offer. Some of the others can be pretty tough.
  • Kayt,

We've been a couple of times in September and it's fairly laid back then. I have heard that in May/June you get people looking for a training camp style regime, so the fast rides may well be very fast then - which may be what you're looking for.
  • Kayt
    Yes, I will take note that it may be busy in May. Perhaps September would be better if the weather could still be good (pleasantly warm and sunny), but the hotel might be quieter. Also,I would only consider doing the easiest of the rides., and it would give me more time before then to improve my cycling skills. Well, actually acquire some cycling skills.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Mid-May will be popular because of the Nove Colli granfondo, one of Italy's biggest (10,000 entrants last year) that takes place in nearby Cesenatico usually the third weekend of the month. The Riccione bike hotels bus people over for the start, so that weekend is popular with their 'regulars' and may be pricier or booked out quickly.