How can my new wheels make this much difference?

Droops
Droops Posts: 204
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Just fitted my new wheels - Mavic Open Pro on 105 hubs with 32 d/b spokes.
They've replaced the standard-issue Alex rims on Specialized hubs that my Allez came with. Is it my wishful thinking or can they really be so much more smooth and compliant? Weightwise they're only about 200g the pair lighter, but the difference in comfort is quite noticeable.
Why would this be? Is it due to the new wheels having double butted spokes? Is it the rims themselves? Is it the two-cross lacing vs. the radial of the Spesh front?

Cheers, Droops.

Comments

• noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    My Allez wheels were rubbish as well

Even bog standard Shimano 550's made a noticeable improvement
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    My Allez came with tripe wheels too (Alex AT400s on Spesh Hubs).

I've since invested in two sets of wheels. A £400 and £100 set, both of which make those supplied with my bike feel and look like utter crap.

I was going to sling the Alexrims but I've just this morning ordered a turbo trainer so if I can I intend to use the rear on that.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Hmm, 200g at the rims will make most riders take notice.... I always reckon that the bike feels little more frisky with light wheels and tyres.
    Boing!
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    I was thinking of making the same upgrade. However I already have 105 hubs tied to Alexrims that came with my Focus, so what i mean to ask what is a decent upgrade to these ive got about 400quid to spend. Was thinking maybe Fulcrum racing 3s. Im gonna keep the 105s for winter/training wheels.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fulcrum Racing's are excellent wheels. I've not tried the 3's but own a pair of 1's and 0's and really rate them. You'll be amazed at the difference a decent pair of wheels make.
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    my spesh allez came with the alex rims.

They were crap, back wheel kept breaking spokes and front going out of true (though it did manage a few more miles than the rear)

Now i have an open pro rear and a kysrium on the front. Much better, although the kysrium seems to have some play in the hub. Will replace with another OP if it gets too bad

OP's are dead cheap on ribble etc these days too
  • Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    A friend of mine has a Spesh allez, and the wheels went out of true, with spokes bending within a fortnight of having it, which is pretty shocking. The ones on the focus are pretty good, mine are still fairly true (I have been up a few gravel paths and down some kerbs). The bonus is the 105 hubs though, i definitely wanna keep those.