Chain gauge q

ContrelaMontre
ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
edited October 2007 in Workshop
I posted in 'special interests' to get the help of fixed enthusiasts, but no-one wants to help me!

Question is - Is standard chain gauge 3/32"?

I need a sprocket and new chain for converting my old raleigh and I'm keeping the raleigh chainset so I assume that means I need a 3/32" sprocket and chain. Is that right?

Any suggestions for a good chain as well are appreciated!

Cheers

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on how many gears you're running - if it's fixed / single / 3 speed then it's probably 1/8". Is the chain joined using a spring link? If then, it's almost certainly 1/8" - 3/32" is only generally used on derailleur bikes. Just to confuse you, you can run a 1/8" chain and sprocket OK with 3/32" chainrings
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Well I'm making it a fixed, but the chainset is the original raleigh one that was a derailleur bike 5-speed (10 gears).

I don't know what a spring link is! :oops:

And if it seems I could use either, would you use a 1/8"?

My instinct would be to get a normal road chain as they should be weatherproof - as I'd expect authentic track chains might not be designed to go outdoors!

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    standard is 3/32

Pretty much all chainsets/rings will run this

It all depends on what you mean by "sprocket"

Is it just one sprocket - like a fixie or single speed runs, or do you mean a cassette - i.e. lots of sprockets?

If it's the former then you need to know what guage the single sprocket is, as that will determine which chain to run.

If it's the latter then you need to know what speed, as that will again determine which chain to run.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I mean one sprocket - i.e. fixed - which I am buying as well.

So I shall go and get a 3/32 sprocket and chain. [edit] unless I'm convinced otherwise that 1/8" is better!

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    A 1/8" chain should fit on a standard chainring. The advantage of 1/8" over 3/32" is that it's that bit more durable so should last longer.