Looking for a Flat Barred Bike with Nexus Gears

Gav2000
Gav2000 Posts: 408
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
My wife is looking for a flat barred hybrid bike with hub gearing (Shimano Nexus seems to be the option in the right price range).

There seems to be a 2008 Specialized Globe for about £450, an Edinburgh Bike Coop Revolution for £350 and a Carrera Subway 8 for about £350. Does anyone have any experience of these hub geared bikes or can anyone recommend any others to consider?

The reason for looking at hub gearing is that she uses relatively few gears (1 front chainring and 3/4 rear sprockets) so doesn't want 27 gears. She cycles for fun with the kids and doesn't cover large distances (max 25 miles a time). She won't spend over £450 and prefers a mans cross bar to the more sloped ladies versions.

Thanks,

Gavin.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think in that price range you have got most or all of the available bikes, Marin, Genesis and Charge make Alfine equipped bikes (Alfine is a hub gear groupset but the hubs can take hydraulic discs) for upwards of £600, but at your price I think you've got it. Best to go for the newer Nexus 8 speed rather than the 7 speed.