Which university is good for riding?

Tarquin
Tarquin Posts: 1,706
edited November 2007 in MTB general
Just interested. I went to Swansea. Not bad, Clyne Woods had some good spots and not too far from the south Wales trail centres.

What 'mtb scene' do other unis have going on?
Sleeping with hookers is like dancing your cat on its hind legs... the more you do it the harder it is to convince yourself they're having fun.

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I would imagine that Edinburgh has got it sorted with the mountain biking. Being so close to Glentress must be a blast!

I'm at Lancaster and its pretty dull. Nothing that you can feasably ride to. The Lakes, North Dales and a couple of the Dumfries 7stanes are reasonably close though.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    UEA has a MTB club but there is a lack of hills round this way.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Whatever uni you go to should be good for riding :lol: Most of the other people there are up for it too!

I went in Edinburgh and it was only after I piled on the pounds through Uni beer and kebabs that I got into mtb although with a car Edinburgh has to come highly recommended.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Bournemouth didn't have too much riding around i don't think but there was a bike club that went to blandford freeride centre a few times a year.
  • Iain W
    Iain W Posts: 26
    Essex had some reasonable riding nearby. Not exactly mountainous, but enough undulation to make things interesting. Also, as a fairly small place with plenty of countryside nearby, it's possible to be offorad within 10 minutes from about anywhere within the town.
    There was an MTB Soc (I was there when we formed it, about 15 years ago :S )
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    which out of Cambridge, Durham, Bath, Bristol and Nottingham?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Bath has an active Mountain Bike Club, and there are plenty of hills and countryside around Bath. Bristol Uni also has a Mountain Bike Club and Bristol has some pretty good riding in Leigh Woods and Ashton Court, and the Forest of Dean is a good day out from either (about 40 miles from BAth, 30 from Bristol, over the suspension bridge).
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Kent's good. There's an MTB club run two minutes away from the uni, and hour's and hour's of xc riding available. Some dirt jumps around, but very little freeride/DH stuff.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • sam1234
    sam1234 Posts: 97
    Got a mate at Aber he seems to spend his whole time MTbing ethier at Nant y Arain or Coad y brenin.

It really annoys me when I get into work and check my emails only to find he's been out riding again :cry: . He also just brought a Reign 1 so much for skint students
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    From Bradford you can be on the moors pretty quick. And there's regular trains to the start of the Dales proper at Ilkley or Skipton.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    university of northumbria or university of Newcastle

(both in Newcastle Upon Tyne) :wink:
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    There is very little at oxford, but all the universities will have teams or informal clubs that will go out on rides. But TBH unless you are seriously considering a career as a professional rider then you shouldn't choose your university according to the trails around...
  • Tarquin
    Tarquin Posts: 1,706
    Unless you're choosing a vocational course you should choose your university for what you're into, surely? Go where you're likely to enjoy yourself. Choose your course in a place you're not going to be happy you're more likely to drop out.

Swansea was voted the best student experience last year. great riding, surfing, white water and huge waterfalls everywhere and it's sports facilites are the best in Wales.
    Sleeping with hookers is like dancing your cat on its hind legs... the more you do it the harder it is to convince yourself they're having fun.
  • Dont forget Kilvey hill in Swansea there's a half decent downhill section there.
  • woody7
    woody7 Posts: 22
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Exeter. Dartmoor, Exmoor, Quantocks, Woodbury common and Haldon right on the doorstep.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    not so sure about university as im only 14 but teesside would be excellent....hamsterley,guisbrough,carlton,osmotherley with in 10mins car drive and stainburn, chopwell about 35mins away and dalby 1hour away
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    jacktheoc has got it! Uni of York is where I went - Dalby, Stainburn, Wharncliffe (hour away) and the dales and peaks on the doorstep - killer loops galore!

It has to be in the North really (not that I'm bias or anything)

EDIT: actually, what are we saying it has to be Edinburgh - 7stanes on your doorstep!!!!
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I think many unis have MTB clubs.

As i said UEA has one but there are a lack of hills. That said we still find good riding. I'll be flying around the woods and trails around campus and out to the villages tomorrow morning with a few people and there is one of many regular trips to thetford at the weekend.

they also do trips to other locations as well, lake district a couple of weeks ago and wales at some point soon.

I suppose as long as you find other people into riding and you can get yourself into the sticks easily enough there will be much riding to be had.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Glamorgan uni but live in merthyr..........
    I kid you not.

within 20 minutes any of the south wales trail centers. Brecon becons to the North, Coed y bryn on the A470 north(directions get onto A470, sit on it) or across to bristol in 45 minutes.
    Plus £4 on the bus to swansea to find very very freindly women.......................
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Tri-Taffia wrote:
    Glamorgan uni but live in merthyr..........
    I kid you not.

within 20 minutes any of the south wales trail centers. Brecon becons to the North, Coed y bryn on the A470 north(directions get onto A470, sit on it) or across to bristol in 45 minutes.
    Plus £4 on the bus to swansea to find very very freindly sheep.......................

Wales riding is just the best!
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Riding what though?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • ransos
    ransos Posts: 380
    I went to Lancaster many mons ago. Only a short hop to the Lakes & Yorkshire dales - MTB heaven. There's also good riding in the forest of Bowland which is on the uni's doorstep.
  • Well I go to the uni of bath, and am part of the club, regular trips to cwm carn. we also have a wood down the back of uni which is ours to make use of, several dh tracks, plus it is very hilly around bath with great views for cross country, bristol also has a good club, i go riding in bristol, still woods/ ashton court with people who are in the club, it cos 3 quid return by train, your laughing either way. ps cambridge is rubbish, my sister went there and no riding to be talked about. plus the uni is really pompus
    Cycling the Tour D'Afrique in 2012

www.tda2012.com
  • bland
    bland Posts: 18
    Come to Manchester and ride with Team S.P.E.R.M

Dales, peaks, wales, XC, DH, got the lot and a really up for it fun club

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2344105311

http://www.teamsperm.co.uk/forum
    Look how cool i am, i have this bike, that bike and tuther bike! Wow!!!