Turbo Trainer/Evans

Spawn of Cabbie
Spawn of Cabbie Posts: 382
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've been looking to buy a turbo and decided on the cycleops magneto. I happened to pass an Evans store yesterday and popped in. They had one in stock but I decided to ask for some advice. This is what the bloke told me.

1. Don't buy one
2. They're rubbish.
3. You won't get fit
4. Especially if you have a fan blowing (due to some sort of oxygen thing - sounded like rubbish to me.
5. Essentially a waste of money.

Is any of the above true? Are turbos rubbish? Should I get one anyway? Should I go to Evans ever again?

Comments

• cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    The usual hit and miss with evans I guess. I've found that some of the staff just aren't into road bikes yet another time you'll get the local racer who is clued up on everything!
    I like going because there's so much stuff under one roof
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • Hi,

I've been looking to buy a turbo and decided on the cycleops magneto. I happened to pass an Evans store yesterday and popped in. They had one in stock but I decided to ask for some advice. This is what the bloke told me.

1. Don't buy one
    2. They're rubbish.
    3. You won't get fit
    4. Especially if you have a fan blowing (due to some sort of oxygen thing - sounded like rubbish to me.
    5. Essentially a waste of money

Is any of the above true? Are turbos rubbish? Should I get one anyway? Should I go to Evans ever again?

Not sure for your post if referring that specific model, but in general this does not apply to turbos. Most racers (roadies and testers, and probably trackies too) use them, for some that's all they use in the winter during the dark evenings. The main benefit is that they can make your training highly specific in terms of effort and duration, which is difficult to achieve outdoors on the road.
  • Yeah im with steve on this one. Its easy to do specific sessions on a turbo, and the're invaluable on dark winter nights when your other option is getting no training in at all.
  • I've got that specific model, and use it fairly regularly when I can't be asked to deal with weather.

I've had no problems with it at all. I'm not a strong cyclist by any stretch of the imagination, and the magneto gives me plenty of resistance.
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    The guy at Evans is completely full of cr**p. Turbo's can be invaluable training aids especially when the weather is awful or you want to do very specific training sessions (apart from bike handling skills!) as they are completely controllable. They're not particluarly pleasant to train on and minutes can feel like hours but they do get you fit if used correctly. The suggestion that a cooling fan will eliminate the training effect is also garbage.

My advice would be either borrow one or go to one of the shops which has models set up for you to try before you buy.
  • I've got that exact model as well. I don't use it all the time, in fact i'll start using it again soon. I bought mine off Evans and the bloke that I spoke to couldn't have been any more informative. Just remember that they are a good training aide and not the be all and end all . Enjoy.
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • There was a noticeable increase in the fitness of club riders round here when they started to get turbos and train on them over the winter!

I think if you don't have much time to train, so need to make the most of the time you do have, or don't want to ride in the cold/dark the turbo is the best training aid there is. The pros don't use them much because they generally live in nice hot places and have all day to train. But who else has that? They really are great for those of us who work want to get fit/faster without spending all our free time on the bike.

A fan is essential as far as I am concerned - there is lots of info on 'tinternet about how raising your core temperature is a bad thing and using a fan doesn't do anything other than cool you down. Plus, if you will probably only ride it regularly if you are comfortable on there. Changing the oxygen levels???? That is crazy!

Regards the type, I don't think it matters much - they all do the same thing. I have a Tacx variable resistance magnetic one which is fine. The ones which are air resistance alone are rather noisy.

Remember to put something over the frame/bars to catch the sweat!
  • Sorry really can not give an opinion to this thread, as dont know enough. However whilst we are on the subject of turbos, can anyone offer advice on which to purchase and from where?

I have just started in the bike/triathlon world, and as long as it gets here (winstanleysbikes, yes I read the thread after ordering and yes, they are taking their time) I should be the proud owner of a Giant scr 2.0 very soon.

Unfortunately my get out on the road and bike time is limited like most to the weekends, so would like to make the most of my bike and the dark hrs and train indoors. Funds are limited, so it's budget all the way.

Any ideas????

Regards

Daz
  • There are plenty of used bargains on ebay, though its the wrong time of the year to be buying....