Pedals - Which one's to buy ?

kellys_heroes
kellys_heroes Posts: 88
edited October 2007 in Workshop
Hi , Been using the Old style Time pedals since they came out,however with new shoes its becoming increasingly difficult to get Plates and when you do,you have to fit those silly 2 inch thick adaptors.....anyone out there recommend a good road pedal..that you dont need an adaptor . i use DMT shoes if this helps.cheers

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I use Shimano pedals and they are as good as anything I've tried. The cleats are the easiest to walk in apart from recessed SPDs.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've just ordered a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-105-PD-56 ... dZViewItem

I'm happy with SPD-SLs, but I don't know whether they'd be compatible with your shoes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Time RX series are good if you like plenty of float. There is a bit of an art to clipping into them though.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    I used to use Shimano but my new bike has Look Keo carbons and I much prefer them. The locking seems easier and more positive
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Time, purely for the reason that they have a very natural float feel and cleats last years, not months.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I have 105's also.

There is plenty of float and the cleats are lasting Ok, so far :D
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Speedplay speedplay speedplay, I use the Zero's and the unrestricted float has been a revalation, double sided as well for your clipping convenience!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I was waiting for someone to mention Speedplays - expensive pedals, weak bearings, don't like mud/dirt and cleats that cost a fortune to replace every season. If only the sun shone every day, you never needed to stand on grassy muddy verges to fix punctures and you never had to walk anywhere - ideal!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Speedplay speedplay speedplay, I use the Zero's and the unrestricted float has been a revalation, double sided as well for your clipping convenience!

have you won the lottery!!!!!, new bike (rather nice i might add) and snazzy pedals too, if no lotto win then is there any jobs going at your place :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I was waiting for someone to mention Speedplays - expensive pedals, weak bearings, don't like mud/dirt and cleats that cost a fortune to replace every season. If only the sun shone every day, you never needed to stand on grassy muddy verges to fix punctures and you never had to walk anywhere - ideal!

Eh? I've had no problems with mine at all, plus they are totally re-buildable. If I'm planning on walking anywhere then I take my cleat covers - same as I do when is use the SPDL's on my commuter. I've found the cleats to be much harder wearing than SPDL's especially if they are cleaned and lubed regularly, and the unrestricted float is bliss for my (slightly odd) knees. The OP wanted a good road pedal recommendation not an MTB one, so I don't really see how mud etc is really an issue here?