Sub £100 waterproof jacket ideas please

primalcarl
primalcarl Posts: 579
edited October 2007 in Workshop
I'm after a waterproof jacket that's 100% waterproof, is on the light side, pretty breathable and some reflective piping is essential. Sub £100

It will be mainly used as a shell for winter rides, and some commuting.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• I bought a jeantex for £65 start of the year, very light, waterproof, and as breathable as any other jacket is (i.e. none are good enough when you're working hard) has some nice vents in the side.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Gill Pro Speed eVent
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • RimTape
    RimTape Posts: 243
    GrounEffect Stormtrooper.

Might be a few pence over the budget.

Definitely waterproof. has a hood that goes under a helmet.

Well designed.

Cheers
    Velox
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I've got the Endura superlite and Ive been really impressed with it in wet weather
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've always been intrigued at the Ground Effect stuff but never bought from there. Good quality by all accounts.
  • crackle
    crackle Posts: 216
    If you are after a multi-activity jacket, not just cycling, then consider this:-

http://www.keela.co.uk/index.php?main_p ... cts_id=183

These guys make jackets for other manufacturers and supply a lot of Mountain rescue teams. They began selling direct a few years ago.

I had an Odin and am about to buy another as I've somehow lost mine. I've still got and use their mountaineering jacket.

I also have to say that no waterproof is truly waterproof and especially after some use. Over the years I've had a lot of jackets, Gore-tex, Ceramics, etc.. I've now given up and avoid big names with big prices, they perform no better than cheaper waterproofs

Edit: Oh yeah, sorry, £60

Errrrrrmmmmmm..........
  • I'd be tempted to buy a cheapish rain cape and a nice warm windstopper.

I personally find that with waterproofs no mater how breathable the are alleged to be and that includes expensive gore-tex I still sweat too much. I save the waterproof for when it rains which may only be an hour or so on a ride or commute.

When it does rain I use a thin rain cape which is a hell of a lot cheaper and packs up into my jersey pocket. Not nearly as breathable as gore-text but I don't intend to wear it all the time for warmth just to stay dry in a shower.

With the money saved I would buy a nice warm wind stopper which is maybe one size larger than your normal jersey. This way you can get a couple of jerseys underneath on the really cold days. When it rains pop the rain jacket over the top and you are dry and warm.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Don't know if they are available on your side of the big pond, but Gill makes
    prett good stuff.

Dennis noward