Lubes, threadlock and oils?

DTW
DTW Posts: 82
edited November 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
First of all hello everyone, you seem to be a helpful lot so I have a question to put forth, I hope you can help.

I was wondering if you could give me a run down of what lubes and grease etc should be applied to different components of my bike (drivetrain and suspension etc?.

In my LBS they sold me some Weldtite teflon grease and said that it would cover every component on the bike but I'm not too sure if this can be right. I dont want to be applying this teflon grease to my bottom bracket if its going to cause damage or not perform well.

Also were do I apply locktight? Does this go on disk brake mountings? Can it be applied to the threads of pedals?

Sorry if these questions are tiresome but I just feel lost on this subject.

Thankyou for reading :D
If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Grease the pedal threads & seatpost for a start.

Loctite is for the disc rotor bolts (not pedal threads!)

Loads of useful info on maintainance here

http://www.parktool.com/repair/
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Threadlock on crank bolts, disc bolts and I put a little on chainring bolts. Loctite 243 is the one to use, make sure the parts are clean, otherwise the threadlocker will not bond.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • DTW
    What do you mean by crank bolts?

The bolts on the chainrings? I run a Hallowtech II so do I need to threadlock the bottom bracket?
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The bolts that hold the crank arms onto the BB, I believe that's what Sir HC meant.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    here's what and where i've been putting on my bike.

finish line teflon grease -
    exposed cables, seat post (all around the area that goes into the frame), seat post clamp bolt thread, seat rails, seat rail bolt threads, derailier springs, in between headset spacers (stops creaks?), headset bearings/races, lock-on grip bolt threads, stem bolt threads, headset top cap bolt threads, quick release shafts (pedros syn grease better here?), pedal bolt threads.

finish line dry lube -
    chain. (use wet for wet weather)

finish line wet lube -
    rails to saddle shell? (stops creaks).

gt85 -
    derailier pivot points, derailier jockey wheels.

rockshox suspension fluid 10w -
    fork stanctions (rockshox reba) every 300 miles or so (use whatever your fork manufacturer recommends)

pedros syn grease -
    deore lx hub bearings/cones/cups.

loctite 243 -
    anything you dont want vibrating loose and you want to fit and forget, disc rotor bolts, v-brake bolts, disc caliper-frame bolt threads (did'nt have any on my rear and they vibrated loose, they do now!) flat pedal studs.
    chainrings and crank arm bolts? none on mine and they hav'nt fallen off, yet

hopefully i'm not putting anything where it should'nt be?

you could also write down all the parts on your bike, headset, derailiiers, brakes etc and go to the manufacturers websites and download all the techdocs about those parts and see what they recommend to use for servicing them, that's if none came with your bike.
  • DTW
    That has been very helpful, thankyou very much :)