Van Nicholas Yukon - Anyone else had BB problems?

Coyote
Coyote Posts: 212
edited December 2007 in Workshop
Saved up all my pennies and bought a VN Yukon frame. When my ace mechanic (30 years in the business) was building it up for me he pointed out that the BB felt very loose when screwing it in. I am using a Campag square taper as I have a nice compatible chain set and its technology tried and tested by Noah himself! The BB only goes tight when its screwed all the way into the shell which probably means that its the 2 facing surfaces butting together that makes it tight rather than anything else. We tried a Shimano BB too and it was just the same. First reponse from Mr. VN was to wrap some pfte tape round the threads and have another go! Not a response I was expecting or happy with on £750 worth of frame! Such was the problem that it didn't make any difference anyway. Next response was that it was down to me using a square taper BB as his frames are meant to be used with BB's with external bearings and that if I used one of these all would be fine! Now I'm sure one of you knowledgeable chappies will correct me if my assumption is wrong here but I thought that the only spec a BB had was either English or Italian thread. I wasn't aware that the thread is different depending on internal or external bearings being used. Nowt on their web site to point this out either. So, is he talking bollocks or am I?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    He is talking bollocks. The thread sizes are the same so the fit will be the same too. I would not nescessarally worry unless the cup started coming loose, the threads will still bind as you tighten the cup.
  • I recently built up my Van Nicholas Yukon using a Octalink 2 Dura-Ace B/B and Ultegra 9sp chainset.

No problems at all with the installation on my frame, not to loose or too tight.

Maybe someone was over-enthusiastic when cutting the threads on your frame?

Hope it works out, the Yukon is a fantastic bike!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's actually quite hard to cut a thread oversize - sounds like poor quality at the factory end and PTFE tape is a bit of a bodge - OK on a worn thread but not a new one.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Coyote
    Thanks for the replies. The frame has now been sent back as I'm not accepting it like this. Apparently I will get a replacement so lets see what this one is like.
  • Hi Coyote,

Please don't take this the wrong way, its your cash, and the thread business still applies, but do you really want a square taper BB on a £750 frame?
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • Coyote
    Fair point Gerry. I'm opting for the good old square taper because I manged to get an extraordinarily good deal on one of the last of the older style carbon Campag Centaur compact chainsets. It's a lovely piece of kit and I've used Campag for years with no problems. Small point I know, but I think they look neater too.
  • Campag square taper BB's & Chainset are lighter and more aerodynamic than the Out board bearing type, and it was strong enough for Tom Boonen so I doubt if us mortals will have a problem with it. :wink:
  • Coyote
    The replacement finally turned up on Monday - same problem as the one I sent back although it is a different frame. My LBS sent 3 back and had 3 returned all the same! He is a top bloke and has given me a full refund while he sluggs it out with VN as they don't accept they have a problem and won't refund him. I shudder to think of the crap I would be dealing with trying to sort this out myself. Makes you think about what to buy on line/mail order yourself and why its great to go via a good LBS, even if its more expensive for the actual item.

I have now orderd one of the new Sunday Bikes September Ti frames as my man assures me they come from a different factory in China....and unlike dealing with VN the guy at Sunday could not have been more helpful. I should receive next week so I'll post an update just in case any one is interested in how it goes.
  • Coyote, i assume you're a customer of Chris at CycleWorld up in Arbroath?

You'll be pleased to hear that we've just taken delivery of all our 2008 frames, including your September. Our mechanic is unwrapping them and doing things like facing bottom bracket and headtube and tapping threads where needed. Th eonly thing i'm missing is the red graphic, but my supplier tells me i'll have it imminently. We expect we'll be shipping the frames upto the shop on Monday so you should be the proud owner by the end of the week!

Incidentally, i've just come off the 'phone to Cycling Weekly who are taking a September for test - so look out for a review soon.

Thanks for choosing Sunday!

Greg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Looking forward to seeing the September fame Coyote, and with it all built up. Sunday seem to be very good custom relations wise so hopefully all OK.
  • Coyote
    Hi Greg - yes Chris up in Cycle World Arbroath is my main man and doing a great job for me on this.

To be honest if I'd known you guys did a frame that takes guards earlier I would have come straight to you. One of our Sunday morning crew rides MTB's for Pedal Power in West Lothian, he knows one of your sponsored riders and gave me great feedback on your frames.

I ride a Paris carbon in the summer but have always loved TI frames. I have 2 of the old bonded Raleigh Dyna-Tech MTB's which haven't fallen apart yet, and I also have one of the last Raleigh Special Products R800's which is welded (bought on eBay for £100 off Nikki Harris's dad!), with a Chorus group and Campag Proton wheels which rides sweet as a nut and I just love it!

The September will be built up on a Centaur carbon group with hand built Mavic Open Pro's on Chorus hubs. I'm really looking forward to getting it together now that we are fully in monsoon season up here! I'll feedback after I've riden it.

Cheers!
  • Coyote wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to getting it together now that we are fully in monsoon season up here! I'll feedback after I've riden it.

Monsoon season on the east coast? Don't make me laugh!

[Good luck with the new bike, btw!]
  • Coyote
    Aye, you are right Captain, if it was Monsoon conditions those 5 hours in the hissing rain last Sunday would have been warm! Shoes are almost dry!
  • giant_man
    Looking foward to seeing the September coyote.
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    Coyote wrote:
    The replacement finally turned up on Monday - same problem as the one I sent back although it is a different frame. My LBS sent 3 back and had 3 returned all the same! He is a top bloke and has given me a full refund while he sluggs it out with VN as they don't accept they have a problem and won't refund him. I shudder to think of the crap I would be dealing with trying to sort this out myself. Makes you think about what to buy on line/mail order yourself and why its great to go via a good LBS, even if its more expensive for the actual item.

I have now orderd one of the new Sunday Bikes September Ti frames as my man assures me they come from a different factory in China....and unlike dealing with VN the guy at Sunday could not have been more helpful. I should receive next week so I'll post an update just in case any one is interested in how it goes.
    Hi Coyote
    When you get your bike please post your impressions here - I'm seriously looking at Sunday for my next bike.
  • Coyote
    A wee update for those interested. The frame was delivered on time to Cycleworld in Arbroath exactly when they guys at Sunday said it would be and I collected it today.

First impressions are very good - nice finish, clean, smooth welds, lovely engraved seatpost collar, takes 31.6 seatpost AND the bottom bracket is just as it should be! There are some neat details to fit the rear guards with screw in holes under the rear brake bridge and the bridge down at the bottom bracket - nice! Standard headset fitting so I can use my Chris King headset :lol:

It will be built up over the next few days and I'll post a picture when it's ready.
  • giant_man
    Piccies PPPLLEEEEAAAASSEEEE coyote. The September isn't on the Sunday web site as yet and I'm dying to see it built up!!

Nice one!
  • Hello - sorry we've been so slow but there's an amateur snap of the September built up in the products section of the website now:

http://www.sundaybicycles.co.uk/september08.htm

Thats the one Cycling Weekly have had and are in Monaco (or somewhere else equally nice) 'testing' at th emoment. I can't imagine they'll need the mudguards over there, but nevermind!

Greg
  • Coyote
    Picked up the completed Sunday September last night. Only managed at trip round the block in my jeans and trainers in the dark but I am very impressed. Without trying to sound like a complete knob I can only describe the ride as buttery or creamy - can't belive I've just typed that! :oops:

I'll be doing around 60 miles on it on Sunday so will update then.

I have no idea how to post photos on this here forum so if anyone knows how then let me know or give me an email address and I'll send direct. I'll send a copy to Greg at Sunday too as he might be able to offer a link like he did earlier.

Spec is as follows:

Campag Centaur - Ergo's, compact carbon chainset, front and rear mech, cassette, chain, BB, skeleton brakes, cables
    Carbon forks with eyes by Ridley
    Hand built Mavic Open Pros on Chorus hubs, Pro Race 2's (red to match frame stickers)
    Ritchey WCS carbon seatpost, ally bars & stem
    Chris King headset
    Fizik Aliante saddle
    SKS carbon effect guards
    ITM bar tape
    Cateye wireless computer
    Bonty carbon bottle cage
    Sunday titanium seat post collar

Build went like clockwork with no problems at all.
  • Coyote
    Well, sub zero temperatures were taken on the chin this morning - literally - and the bike got a good 60 mile workout around Mid & East Lothian.

The ride is really good, better than my Ti Raleigh. The frame is very smooth, soaks up the bumps very well and although it doesn't accelerate quite as hard as an alloy or carbon frame it still does a great job. I even managed to take the last 30 into Musselburgh! :D

I didn't get much chance to push it hard through the corners with the conditions being what they were but it did feel pretty solid and no signs of any dodgy wobbles on the one descent where I touched 38mph before going numb with the cold!

I've never had a semi sloping frame before and I can't really tell if it makes any diference but it climbs pretty well despite of me.

All in all I am very pleased with it so far - the guards fit very well, takes normal brakes no problem and has fixings for a rack too, while still looking great.

I've never been on a VN so can't compare but if you do decide to go Dutch and not UK (yes I know they are made in China but you know what I mean!) then make sure you get one where the BB thread has been cut with a sharp tool rather than a blunt one!