correct number of chain links?

duncster999
duncster999 Posts: 16
edited October 2007 in Workshop
i've got shimano 105 group set, 34 and 50 teeth on chainring and a 12-27 (10 speed) rear cassette.

The current chain is worn and requires replacement. it has 114 links.

I've been looking at the KMC X10 10spd chain as a replacement as it seems to offer improved durablity over other chains, at a cost.

i've found one on ebay for £30 but it says it has 116 links. Is it possible to remove the 2 extra links? do i need to?

Thanks for your help! :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes it is possible.
    You may need to shorten it for it to function correctly.
    If your current chain was shifting OK prior to it being worn then make it the same length as that.

£30 is pretty expensive for a chain.You might be better advised to buy 2 less expensive ones e.g. KMC DX-10 and swap them over periodically.This would give you the opportunity to thoroughly clean and regrease the one that isn't on the bike.
  • thanks, Anton.

yes it is expensive, but i'm hoping that will be worth it for the durability. my previous chain only lasted 4 months, despite careful maintenance. i do high mileage and in all weathers.

do you know if you just use a regular chain breaker with the KMC chain to remove links?
  • Anonymous
    Personally I would invest in a ten speed specific chain tool .
    Or borrow one from your LBS.
    :wink:

You could try your current chain splitter on the old chain. If it pushes the pin out without fouling on the side plates then it should be OK on the KMC 10 speed chain.
  • thanks again, Anton.

can you recomment any particular chain breaker?
  • Anonymous
    This is the one I carry around with me.
    It's light enough to put in the wedgy and does the job.

http://tinyurl.com/2sc4tu
  • Hi Duncster999

I use 10 speed KMC chains on my bikes and use a regular chain splitter that is about 10 years old. It splits the KMC chains without any problems at all.

I have had no problems with the chains themselves so hopefully you should find them a worthwhile investment.