Cassette Compatibility

mxer77
mxer77 Posts: 6
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I am repairing a bike my dad had, as i intend to use it on the slog to college instead of the train, which is quite expensive and has stupid times. :?

Will a the cassette widths be the same for 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes, as may be upgrading the 8 speed campags to 10 speed campags at some point.

Thanks for the help.
HAVE NO FEAR-LEPRECHAUN\'S HERE

Comments

• The cassette spacing on Campaq 8,9 and 10 speed is different for each type! I know as I followed the upgrade route over time :(

Ed
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    with shimano the 8 and 9 speeds are the same and only the 10 is different
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    There appears to be some confusion here. If you have a campag 8sp hub you can only fit an 8sp cassette. The 9sp hub is the same as the 10sp and the cassettes are interchangeable between the two.

With shimano it's a little more complicatedas it depends on which groupset you have. Dura-ace hubs are different from the rest of the range.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If your wheel is Campagnolo 8 speed it is not possible to fit a 9 or 10 speed cassette because the splines on the freehub are the wrong shape. Look up www.sheldonbrown.com for more info.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..