Chain cleaners, do they work?

Georgeb
Georgeb Posts: 315
edited October 2007 in MTB general
Do chain cleaners really work? Can you recommend me one.

Also will a chain cleaner work on single speed bikes as i do not have much room to fit one on? I have a 32 tooth chainring.

Comments

• Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    Mate i have the Park Tool chain bath. works really well it gets all the muck out of the chain. Think you can get it from most good bike shops.
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    The muc-off one's not bad either - and it's a fiver cheaper IIRC :D

Muc-off chain doc I think it's called.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I bought a cheap one off CRC a while back, (Might be a BBB one) does what it's supposed to.
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    So do the cheap ones work as well as the expensive ones?
  • If you have a sram powerlink you can whip the chain off really (no tools) and take it off the bike. then you can use your (old) kitchen sink bowl and an (old) dish cleaner to really scrub the chain well (use GOOD degreaser) in some warm water and then rinse it afterwards in clean water to make sure there's no gritty bits left in it to wear it down. the chain cleaners have a nasty habbit of putting back on the grit it's taken off.
  • Not as good as they should. I have a Park Tools one and I spent last year using it very regularly on a set of three chains. Compared with this year when instead of using the chain cleaner I just used Rock n Roll Extreme (CRC). (- The stuff you put on then spin and wipe).

I recon my set of chains this year lasted just about as long.

Usually when using the chain cleaner, after use, when twisted the chain would still sound crunchy, (it still sounds crunchy after R&R I'd add!), so I recon that the chain cleaners leave quite a lot of fine grit inside the joints - as do most other systems short of complete removal into a bucket of solvent.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Have to agree with some of the posters above after cleaning with the chain cleaner if you twist the chain you can feel it is full of grit, even after a number of cleans it is still in there.

Best way I have found to clean is use a sram power link so you can remove the chain.

This is a method used in engineering workshops and on machines that are chain driven in environment were there is a lot of dust about.

Use the 3 tub method (or plastic bottle) method.

• Drop the chain in to the first bottle with degreaser in and shake vigorously.
    • Drop in to second bottle with very hot water and a touch of citrus cleaner (or any non-abrasive kitchen cleaner) shake vigorously. If the water stays clean you know you have all the dirt out. If you use hot water it evaporates off when you take it out.
    • Drop in to a bottle of chain lubes, shake and leave for a few minutes, then hang above the open bottle to run off lube.
    • Wipe down and replace on bike.

Having 2 chains is handy as you can one off one on and clean in your own time and the cassette will last the length of the 2 chains.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Omegas is spot on. Chains will last for ages if they are cared for in this way. I suggest you buy a 99 pence Tupperware style container from Tesco for cleaning the chain. These are round with four clips to seal the lid on. Put the chain inside with some degreaser/or Muc Off/or petrol/or WD40 and shake it for a few minutes. Then clean with a rag or place it on an old tray and scrub it with a spot of water and a brush. Sram Powerlink is ,of course, essential for simplifying the procedure.