repalacing cranks

ktmsx 125
ktmsx 125 Posts: 53
edited October 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i have a gt chucker which always gets wobbly cranks and i have been told the only thing that will help is replacing the crankset i have found some nice ones on ebay for around £40-£80

i have got the crank off with out the chainrings on but i cant get the one with chainrings on how do i do this?

Comments

• red eye
    red eye Posts: 264
    you need a crank removeing tool to pull the crank off
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    How long have you had it? The cranks on Chuckers always come loose and bike shops should be aware of it. When I sell one I remove the crank bolts, apply threadlock and refit them at 45 Nm, this averts the problem. The shop where you bought yours should have done the same, otherwise they didn't set it up properly, I would consider it a warranty job. Of course now your crank arm is rounded and will never fit tightly. You don't need to replace the RH crank, just the one that falls off. If you want to replace them entirely the very least the shop can do is take it off for you FOC.
    To do it yourself you must remove the bolt with Either a 14mm socket or 8mm allen key, screw the crank extractor into the threads on the crank arm, being careful not to cross thread it, then tigten up the inner part of the crank tool until it pulls off the crank. When fitting the new crank use threadlock and a torque wrench as described above.
  • do you always need the "crank ext" to remove a crank arm?
  • They are pants abd total mare for falling off mine does exactly the same its fine for a while then a few harsh rides later its off again. Ive tried the threadlock and torque routine and it STILL comes off, and now the bottom bracket has started creaking so excuse to change the lot :evil:
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    blade27 wrote:
    do you always need the "crank ext" to remove a crank arm?

Unless it's already buggered you do.

@Jd1968 It's too late for the threadlock and torque once it's fallen off, it needs to be done before you ride it, like you say they are a mare for falling off, but everybody knows about it so they should be doing it in the shop.
  • Tony06
    Tony06 Posts: 311
    my advice would be replace the bottom bracket aswell. i made the mistake well i wasnt advised by my lbs to change from square taper which would have fixed the problem.

so splash out this once and get new cranks and bb.. for 80 quid you could get a set of hones on crc.