Uprgrade to Full Suss-any comments?

Oldskool_Paul
Oldskool_Paul Posts: 127
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
Evening all,

First off, this is my first post on here so Hello :)

Right down to it....I've been riding since 1992 on and off (the usual story of birds,cars and booze breaking up my riding career). I like to think, although I'm not exactly fit (not yet, working on that one) that I'm a competent technical rider (used to dabble with trials and all sorts). At the moment I have a Gary Fisher hardtail which I've had for the last 5 years, in which time I've been going through phases of riding and not riding. Times have changed and I've really got the bug for riding again thanks mainly due to changing jobs and finding out loads of the lads at work are into riding. I'm now looking at buying a Full susser and I'm totally confused as to what I do and don't need.

I mostly ride Cannock Chase as this is my local area and I've been riding round there for a good many years. I've recently started hitting trails elsewhere such as Coed Llandegla (which reaquainted me with proper airtime :p)

So that's some background, basically I'm looking to spend between £1000-£1500 on my next ride and I want something that can take some abuse (I'm about 6' and 15 stone). So far bikes that have stood out are the Commencal Meta 5.5 (It'll be the Numero 3 for me), Kona Coiler (2007 special deal), and the Gary Fisher Fat Possum (Swynnertons are doing deals on these at the moment). I've also heard Trek Fuels are worth a look and so is the Giant Reign range.

What experience do folks have of the above? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading, I apologise for the waffle :p
Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
'11 Genesis Aether 20

Comments

• Been recommended the Giant Trance, I must say I like the look of the 2007 Trance 2. Are the 2008 bikes any better than the 2007? I notice the frames are slightly different in that the big hole for the rear shock top pass through isn't there any more.

Also toying with the idea of building a myself a hardtail instead....so many decisions.
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    The 2008 Trance X is lighter and has more travel than previous models - it looks like it may be one of the bikes of the year. Out of your list, I like the Trek Fuels but they have a reputation as being a bit flexy. I think the Commencal fits the bill better.
  • Was looking at bikes in the same price region as you and I came up with a short list of the Specalized Stuntjumper, Trek Fuel EX8 and the Marin Rift Zone. All seem to be getting nothing but rave reviews.