headset - steerer tube gap

chud
chud Posts: 3
edited October 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to raise up my bars to make my riding position more comfortable. If I need more height than just riser bars, how much can I safely add using spacers? The steerer tube is currently a few mm below the top of the stem. Can it be raised up further and by how much?

cheers
rich

Comments

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    You can't raise up the stem with spacers if the steerer tube has been cut, it isn't safe, don't do it. You need to get new forks if you want to this, or if possible have the steerer tube replaced, what forks are they? Alternatively you could get a high rise stem, or perhaps a shorter one would improve your fit.
    There are various devices available designed to fit into an unthreaded steerer tube and extend it for use with an Aheadset, Unfortunately I can't give any firsthand advice on any of them but perhaps one could be a solution.
  • chud
    chud Posts: 3
    Thanks for the warning. Hopefully I can get some budget risers that are big enough, if not Ill just put up with it till I can afford new forks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you could also get a higher rise stem.

go talk ti your LBS and get them to show you the options.

new forks is not really an option as it effects other things.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    What forks? I know Windwave will replace the steerer tubes on Marzocchi forks for a very reasonable price.