Max_Man
Max_Man Posts: 185
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Edit....best advice for hill climbing improvement... :roll:

Discuss.

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Sounds dangerous but i find the best way of getting up them spinning slogs is to just sit back in the saddle, watch the cadence bit of my trip computer and just use my peripheral vision to see where I am in relation to the side of the road. That wy you dont soo how you are getting on and you just keep going till you fell you can go up a gear and thats usually at the top.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    can you sort out your apostrophes before you tackle hills?

two main types:

possessive, used to signal belonging, eg: the boy's ball. apostrophe goes before the S if it is singular, after if plural.

boy's ball
    boys' ball

on each occasion the ball clearly belongs to the boy(s).

other main type is omissive, to signal a missing letter. the apostrophe appears in place of the missing letter, eg:

do not - becomes don't, the 'o' is missing, hence apostrophe between 'n' and 't'.

verbs never, ever have an apostrophe. nouns only have an apostrophe if they own something. just because it has an 's' it doesn't need an apostrophe.

as for hills, longer beasts are all about pace and rhythm, and more precisely, maintaining a rhythm, not changing down too soon, and alternating between sitting and standing.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Thanks peejay - you saved me a job. I read that and thought "someone needs to educate this man on the use of apostrophes". Well done. :wink:
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    edited October 2007

Discuss
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    You're welcome. 8) :wink:

It sounds like you're either a) attacking the hill too hard or b) don't have the endurance to ride close to your maximum for the length of the hill yet. May I ask how long you've been cycling?
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Peejay, you've been locked in that cupboard wearing your lycra for far too long!!!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    edited October 2007
    [The original title of post was "Love Hill's". Sensibly, this has now been edited but that makes a nonsense of what follows!] - ed.

Love Hill's what?

lycra shorts?

cheeky sense of humour?

command of punctuation?

and who is Hill anyway?

I did know a girl called Laurie once, but everyone just called her Truck.

:?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    pneumatic wrote:
    Love Hill's what?

lycra shorts?

cheeky sense of humour?

command of punctuation?

and who is Hill anyway?

I did know a girl called Laurie once, but everyone just called her Truck.

:?

Where in the "dark land" of Fife are you from?
  • peejay78 wrote:

two main types:

possessive, used to signal belonging, eg: the boy's ball. apostrophe goes before the S if it is singular, after if plural.

boy's ball
    boys' ball

other main type is omissive, to signal a missing letter. the apostrophe appears in place of the missing letter, eg:

do not - becomes don't, the 'o' is missing, hence apostrophe between 'n' and 't'.

verbs never, ever have an apostrophe. nouns only have an apostrophe if they own something. just because it has an 's' it doesn't need an apostrophe.

as for hills, longer beasts are all about pace and rhythm, and more precisely, maintaining a rhythm, not changing down too soon, and alternating between sitting and standing.

The words 'pot', 'kettle 'and 'black' come to mind here.

I was taught that you should start your sentences with a capital letter.

Also, there is 'Netiquette'. Have a read here:-

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule10.html

There you go - I've just been found guilty of poor Netiquette for pointing this out!

Seriously though. Everyone understood what was meant in the OP. No need for the Apostrophe Police here.
  • peejay78 wrote:

two main types:

boy's ball
    boys' ball

The words 'pot', 'kettle 'and 'black' come to mind here.

I was taught that you should start your sentences with a capital letter.

Also, there is 'Netiquette'. Have a read here:-

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule10.html

There you go - I've just been found guilty of poor Netiquette for pointing this out!

Seriously though. Everyone understood what was meant in the OP. No need for the Apostrophe Police here.

And while I'm at it ...

If we need an apostrophe between the 'n' and 't' in 'don't' where is the apostrophe to signify the space between the 'o' of 'do' and the 'n' of 'not' that gets missed out when the words are joined together to make 'don't'?

I must get out on my bike more.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Max_Man wrote:

Discuss

Interesting thread.

Would someone care to contribute to the debate by explaining the possessive its and It's?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • peejay78
    "If we need an apostrophe between the 'n' and 't' in 'don't' where is the apostrophe to signify the space between the 'o' of 'do' and the 'n' of 'not' that gets missed out when the words are joined together to make 'don't'? "

it's called omission, as in, something is missing. technically, semantically, philosophically, you're referring to a 'gap' being missing, which is a bit problematic. you could argue it's aporia.

capitalisation is increasingly on a whim when online, and not a crime. it can be seen as informal style. the flagrant abuse of apostrophes cannot.

liberally sprinkling apostrophes like cluster bombs is a bit of an issue. it's a grammatical case of GBH.

"It's" only has a an apostrophe when it's omissive. like just back there <----

confusingly, it doesn't have one for possession. probably because 'it' can't own anything. and to keep things simple.

My advice for hills was also written above, and it still stands.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    peejay78 wrote:
    liberally sprinkling apostrophes like cluster bombs is a bit of an issue. it's a grammatical case of GBH.
    ....ignorance or bad manners

Good hill climbing is indeed about rhythm, and knowing where ones (check) limits are

So, good training for me, has included climbing a hill several miles long, standing-ensuring that I did so at a pace that didn't take me too far over the red line.
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Practice.... the fitter you get the easier it is.. it's also very 'individual' to the person.....most importantly watch your breathing and concentrate.

Sitting or standing - that's up to you and your gearing - if you have a compact then try riding tempo sitting down - I have a 39-21 bottom gear so usually sitting until 'honking' is the only way - although I've got really fit over the year - struggled like hell in the spring...

I do find my 39x21 will get me over anything now that I have a good base fitness !
  • peejay78
    the really important thing is to avoid 'grinding' the pedal stroke, keep it smooth, think souplesse.

i find it easier to maintain a rhythm in a slightly bigger gear, the easier cogs are a last resort or for seriously unpleasant inclines.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I find I'm prety good at hill climbing, simple because I do a lot of them.
    I keep spinning at roughly the same rpm- maybe dropping it 10revs to 90rpm depending on the gradient.

I find a seated rhythm really helps. If i'm on a fast club run then sometimes I'll go out of the saddle to keep up and make sure I'm not dropped, but generally I like to stay seated and spin.

Just find a big local hill or hilly ride, and once a week at least over winter go up and down it. Repeat for a year gradually going faster and pushing harder. Then you will be good at hills.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson