b'Twin Sport 2 16S

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited December 2007 in Workshop
dsc00463ib5.jpg

Just got myself another back up commuter/weekend exercise bike, bargain for £170 I reckon! (though I changed the wheels and tyre which I didn't like the look of to another set hanging around and added some mudguards). It seems to have a weird gearing of 52 and 42 at the front - I guess the shifting should be smooth (for a Sora mech at least)

Haven't yet ridden it, hopefully my first outing will be good tomorrow.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Decor's a bit bland.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • redddraggon
    Garybee wrote:
    Decor's a bit bland.

It sure is, but you can't be picky for £170
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Garybee wrote:
    Decor's a bit bland.

The decor being referred to was that in your living room. It is a standard forum response to ignore the bike and comment on it's environment.

52/42 was the standard chainring combination for decades, 53/39 replaced it as more and more sprockets were added to the wheel and the bigger jump between rings was not so important.

That wall could do with a border, though.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Garybee wrote:
    Decor's a bit bland.

Oh the bike looks good. I've got a Dawes that i use for training and commuting that i paid nearly £500 for and i doubt it's really a better bike. 42/52 used to be a pretty common combination for chainsets and is fine if you're a strong rider and don't live near too many hills. Looks like a sensible buy to me.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • redddraggon
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    The decor being referred to was that in your living room. It is a standard forum response to ignore the bike and comment on it's environment.

That wall could do with a border, though.

I guess I should have kept quiet. It's a rented flat, I'm only in it for the year before I go back to university after my Industrial Placement, so I don't have the inclination or money to change it. But yeh, all the walls in the flat are that colour, I don't seem to spend much time there so I don't seem to notice it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    At £170 that looks like a good buy.

What do you carry in that saddlebag though - your entire worldly goods? :shock:
  • redddraggon
    andyp wrote:
    What do you carry in that saddlebag though - your entire worldly goods? :shock:

2xTubes, Chain splitter, 2xCO2 cartridges and adaptor, allen key multitool, tyre levers, and spare batteries for lights. I probably carry more than I absolutely need, but I'm not racing and use it mainly for commuting so I just feel more secure carrying it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Very nice 8)

These Decathlon bikes seem to be amazing value for money. I think my next roadie will be from the Decathlon stable 8)

And you can't go wrong for that price, a friend of mine has pedals that cost more than that. :shock: I know what I'd rather have :wink:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • I like the decor but isnt the bike a sport 1? Ive got a sport2 its blue and cost 270 quid.
  • redddraggon
    I like the decor but isnt the bike a sport 1? Ive got a sport2 its blue and cost 270 quid.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-16s-25268165/

I guess I missed the 16S off, the sport 1 has downtube shifters and is £115
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    bought one of those myself about a month back for comuting to work (16S like yourself, not the normal 16). changed the front chainrings to a compact,as im not strong enough for the hills round here lol.

Will do me well overthe winter thats for sure!

Need to put mud guards onlike you have, which ones are the ones you have put on? so i have an idea what i can get on there please?
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • redddraggon
    willbevan wrote:
    Need to put mud guards onlike you have, which ones are the ones you have put on? so i have an idea what i can get on there please?

SKS Chromoplastic Mudguard Set

I think that's them, in the 35mm silver road version, I got them from Decathlon and got them to fit them while I was there.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • At those sort of prices, they are tempting as 'winter' bikes, if you live in areas where the roads are regularly salted in winter!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • willbevan
    willbevan wrote:

I think that's them, in the 35mm silver road version, I got them from Decathlon and got them to fit them while I was there.

ah i have been looking at that set and also these:

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... uard%20Set

Anyone give some good advice either way please?

Thanks

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• redddraggon
    willbevan wrote:
    willbevan wrote:

ah i have been looking at that set and also these:

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... uard%20Set

Anyone give some good advice either way please?

Thanks

Will

Race blades aren't as good as full mudguards, if you have the required clearances on the bike full mudguards are the best idea. People only tend to get race blades if they can't fit full mudguards or want to take the guards off regularly. Full mudguards are a b*tch to get on and off to say the least, so if you plan on taking them off regularly go for the race blades. I think these mudguards will stay on this bike permanently and use the bike alongside my other bikes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    I saw the Sport (3?) in Decathlon yesterday, looks like a really nice bike for the money. Alu frame with Carbon fork and seat stays, Campy Mirage for £405. Comes in a very nice yellow colour too.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Looks like a good value bike. Your setup seems a bit strange to me - there is a lot of seatpost showing for such a small frame size, and the seat is rammed right back on the rails - Do you think the next size up might fit better? Also the saddle is angled down a lot.

Silver mudguards go well with the silver of the paintjob - a very nice package for commuting / wet rides.
  • redddraggon
    Your setup seems a bit strange to me - there is a lot of seatpost showing for such a small frame size, and the seat is rammed right back on the rails - Do you think the next size up might fit better? Also the saddle is angled down a lot.

Due to the heavy rain this morning I decided not to go out on it so it's still yet to be ridden, so I haven't got the setup tweaked right yet. It's nice and sunny now......but the football is about to start.

I think the angle of the saddle is right for me, I've got the saddle quite sloped on my other bike about the same, took a good bit of tweaking to find that it's most comfortable like that.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • willbevan
    willbevan wrote:

Cheers for the link again! i got a set and got them on

only difficultly i had, was how to attach the front guard to the forks, looking at your picy it seems decathlon had some clips that went round each side of the fork, i used cable ties lol!!!! think ill try and get some when im next up therelol (which might be thursday as im passing birmingham if im out of the office then) hmmmmmmm
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• What is the ride like with a cromoloy fork? £170 is a bargain with a 5 year warranty as well.
  • redddraggon
    What is the ride like with a cromoloy fork?

Both my bikes have a cromoloy fork so I can't compare with a carbon fork - but I don't find the ride uncomfortable.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Picked up one of these today for £124 in the sales, will do nicely as a wet weather/winter trainer...... :D Surprisingly lightweight......