What Cross bikes are folks riding?

acorn_user
acorn_user Posts: 1,137
edited November 2007 in The bottom bracket
Just wondering what cross bikes folks are racing? What's the custom steel to alloy rig ratio?

Round here, I mostly see Tricrosses and Redlines. Less exotica this year, but a couple of Alans, an Indy Fab and a Waterford.

I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting a cross frame, and I'm trying to work out whether I should order a frame at home over Christmas or in the states.

David

Comments

• There are a lot of Kinesis Crosslights around which are really good frames, I lived down south last year and there were a lot of S-Works Tricross (I have one), now I have moved oop north I appear to be the only one. There are a lot of Paul Milnes in the north and there are quite a few Flanders and Alan as well. I think it largely depends on what the local shops happen to stock.
    Nil Points
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Kinesis Evo 2
    Paul
  • Just picked up a Pinarello CX - now i need to lear how to ride the damm thing!

Ed
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I got my frame custom built by Xi'an Titanium in China for about the same prices as a Cross-light. Because it has disk brakes, I get the benefit of sloping top tube, huge clearances - it can take MTB wheels with 1.75" tyres. It looks like the illegitimate child of a road bike and MTB.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Planet X Uncle John. It's already proving its worth in races.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Do those frames have top routed gear cables? I could get away with speccing downtube cables for riding in Virginia, but I want the bike to be suitable for races in Britain too (or Oregon for that matter!).

This is fun. I am thinking of speccing a midweight steel tubeset with lugs, top cable routing for at least the rear brakes, steel forks. I would build it with a mix of Veloce and Miche components and finish it off with some of my own wheels and Challenge Grifo clinchers :)