carbon frames?

farmer_giles
farmer_giles Posts: 39
edited October 2007 in MTB buying advice
Can anybody offer some advice regarding carbon frames. I have just looked on the halfords site and it appears they are producing a carbon mtb. called the titan for £1000.
Looks like a good bike, but I have no experience of this type of frame.

is it worth buying or would you go for something else? - I'm looking to spend 1000 max,

cheers

Comments

• Just found the details here:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_370027_langId_-1_categoryId_106166

On paper it looks good,spec is reasonable,considering at £1000 is cheap for a carbon frame.Lower priced Carreras get good reviews,but not seen anything on this one before.

One to try,but if I was spending this money I'd probably stick with a Giant XTC,if I wanted a carbon frame.The C2 looks good for £1100.Well regarded and proven carbon frame, Fox F80 Forks,good spec.(see link below)

Bear in mind that to get a carbon framed bike for £1000 you will usually be making some kit compromises,against an equivalently priced aluminium bike.Good project bike for later upgrades though.

The C2,has me very tempted!

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s2p1260
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • thanks. do you know though, how reliable the frames are? could I use them for propper XC? How solid is this type of frame?

cheers
  • That new carerra Looks sweet If you buy it on line you get 10% + 25 off the price so it comes in at £875 Does anyone know if the frames are still made by Merida and if so what are Merida carbon frames like ?

How comes Buying an MTB is so hard these days theres just so much to choose from Arrggghhhhhh
  • majocs
    majocs Posts: 4
    I am also looking for info on Carbon bikes, Hardtails!!! If any one has any info on the Merida Carbon 3000d FLX and the KTM Team LC Elite. Looking to upgrade very soon and would like any info.......Thanks
  • hey i think that you should really consider carefully.i have a carbon frame in hand but it is not by MTB.if its 1k.i think that you should consider getting yourself a cervelo carbon frame.they do have frames ard that price.so do consider carefully.thats my advice for you.all the best! make the right decision.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    The Giant XTC Comp frames are very good. I have a comp 3 which is light but handles beautifully. It's fine for any XC i've come across and is lovely to ride. The Carrera looks good for the price but i've no idea about the frame
  • I have a Specialized S-Works carbon H/T and it is quite simply stunning. Light, strong and the ride quality is top class. If I were you I would save another 200 quid and get one, I can assure you that you wont be disappointed.

If you want some pix of mine please PM me.

Cheers
    CG