The Agony and the ecstasy

Jerry Marcoss
Jerry Marcoss Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Hi. Newly signed up.

Bought a road bike a couple of weeks ago and after a few commutes I took it out for a longer ride today.

Really haven't got my legs yet and the gradient on the way out, which I thought was gentle, really wasn't. I couldn't get any type of cadence and all my energy seemed to drain away. I got half way had a drink and re-adjusted my saddle height and the difference was immense.
The gradient on the way back was a bonus, too and I had a blast picking up speed.

I suppose the key is to just keep going over the next few weeks to build up my legs and stamina? It must get easier?

So, a really mixed bag, but glad the positive bit came last so I didn't feel like throwing my bike away...
Laisse passer!

Comments

• keep at it!

you probably went out a bit harder than you needed to on the way out and took a bit more out of yourself than was needed... but at least you got a good lash on the way back! :D

in no time you'll have really built up a bit of stamina and more spped and that wee gradient will be a walk in the park.

it'll also probably take a while to get the riding position just right too... so tinker with it and maybe get a mate or the lbs to have a wee look at you on the bike too.

marty
    ========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    always remember.... there are people worse off than you! :)
    i always thought this to myself on my 15yr old steel bike that was utter...shlt.... using swimming trunks as shorts, and an old uncomfy helmet, chain came off if i wasnt careful, the bike weighed a ton, was slightly to big for me, the seat was hard, and was on a slant, so the plastic rim rubbed my lower regions...allot.

whatever hurts you makes you stronger.
    the moment i transfered to a racing bike, i felt like i was flying, that nice big pay off so i could afford cycling gear, and put myself into it, without swearing at the chain coming off, or the brakes not working,

''Really haven't got my legs yet and the gradient on the way out, which I thought was gentle, really wasn't. I couldn't get any type of cadence and all my energy seemed to drain away. ''
    i bet its easy for you now, and hills aren't bad at all... part of the enjoyable experience of riding a racing bike :) get a proper work out to.
    just think how fit you will be.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Hi. Newly signed up.

Bought a road bike a couple of weeks ago and after a few commutes I took it out for a longer ride today.

Really haven't got my legs yet and the gradient on the way out, which I thought was gentle, really wasn't. I couldn't get any type of cadence and all my energy seemed to drain away. I got half way had a drink and re-adjusted my saddle height and the difference was immense.
    The gradient on the way back was a bonus, too and I had a blast picking up speed.

I suppose the key is to just keep going over the next few weeks to build up my legs and stamina? It must get easier?

So, a really mixed bag, but glad the positive bit came last so I didn't feel like throwing my bike away...

It does get easier.

If you're really going to get into this cycling lark (and you will :wink: ) keep a log of your mileage and times.

In fact, there is a website called cyclogs where you can do it online if you'd prefer although I keep forgetting to update mine.

The inprovements you see are generally fairly slow and I've found it a big help to look back at how my distances and mileage and average speeds are steadily creeping up.

Good luck :D
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • the positive bit came last so I didn't feel like throwing my bike away...

[/quot

No matter how long your at this sport you'll still get days when you feel like throwing your bike away :lol: For me these usually come just after practising my climbling
  • So, 5 years later and after a house move, learning to drive, becoming a dad and general laziness I've dusted the bike down and begun cycling again.
    This time with bike computer and Strava which is making a big difference in motivation.

Not going to win any races on my £115 B'Twin Sport 1 but I'm seeing improvement after a few weeks and feeling fitter already.
    Laisse passer!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good stuff, keep us posted in 5 years time when you give it another go.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Panter wrote:
    [It does get easier.

If you're really going to get into this cycling lark (and you will :wink: ) keep a log of your mileage and times.

In fact, there is a website called cyclogs where you can do it online if you'd prefer
    although I keep forgetting to update mine.

The inprovements you see are generally fairly slow and I've found it a big help to look back at how my distances and mileage and average speeds are steadily creeping up.

Good luck :D
    If you're going to log them you may as well log them against people who post on here. Link below... :wink:
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Good stuff, keep us posted in 5 years time when you give it another go.

Aye, will do. :wink:
    Laisse passer!