Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

The morning after

Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
If you've had a big night previously do you still cycle in or do you wimp out and use public transport?

I was disgustingly slow this morning... but over 2 bottles of wine last night said I didn't care, not dying was my priority
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Posts

  • secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,549
    Hmmmm...didn't you make some telling contributions to the "can't help being fat" debate on the Cake Stop board?

    Tsk tsk :roll:

    Self inflicted, no sympathy (FYI: I don't really drink (any more))

    It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I think the question is, are you still drunk?

    If so then you should use public transport
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • nottscobbnottscobb Posts: 147
    For me it takes over twice as long to get to work on public transport so getting up early enough for that after a few shandys the night before doesn't happen often. I never drink enough mid-week to still be drunk in the morning but I had my first hangover commute on my fixie this week, that was interesting to say the least!
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    secretsam wrote:
    Hmmmm...didn't you make some telling contributions to the "can't help being fat" debate on the Cake Stop board?

    Tsk tsk :roll:

    Self inflicted, no sympathy (FYI: I don't really drink (any more))

    not looking for sympathy I chose to open another bottle at 1am... it's entirely my fault

    cupoftea I see what you're saying but would you cycle after a couple of pints? is that the same thing?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I've been slogging in fighting a cold all week (at least it wasn't self-inflicted!). Achey and no strength at all, it's just been a matter of pacing myself and getting where I'm going regardless of how slow I am. Not a lot of fun.

    To answer the actual question, I'm another that doesn't drink much and never if I'm working the day after - is all this moral superiority getting to you yet? :mrgreen:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • secretsamsecretsam Posts: 4,549
    Clever Pun wrote:
    secretsam wrote:
    Hmmmm...didn't you make some telling contributions to the "can't help being fat" debate on the Cake Stop board?

    Tsk tsk :roll:

    Self inflicted, no sympathy (FYI: I don't really drink (any more))

    not looking for sympathy I chose to open another bottle at 1am... it's entirely my fault

    cupoftea I see what you're saying but would you cycle after a couple of pints? is that the same thing?

    Hmmmm...then by Mr Plod's definition, you were probably still over the limit when you started your journey this morning...

    In answer to the question: don't drink on schoolnights, so not an issue

    It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    secretsam wrote:

    Hmmmm...then by Mr Plod's definition, you were probably still over the limit when you started your journey this morning...

    In answer to the question: don't drink on schoolnights, so not an issue

    No fixed limit if you are cycling
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    what about when you have a few at lunch?
    Do people still do that? Used to be a regular thing at the engineering place I was apprenticed at in the eighties - I only went a few times, couldn't stand feeling like death all afternoon. In the industry I work in now it'd be a very bad idea!
    spen666 wrote:
    No fixed limit if you are cycling
    Still not a very clever idea though, is it?
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've had 2 at lunch today with food...

    it just makes the cycle home harder imo

    Before I started cycling I once had 11 pints in an extended lunch and went back to work.. where I wrote some code... looked at it on Monday and deleted the lot of it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • GussioGussio Posts: 2,452
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've had 2 at lunch today with food...

    it just makes the cycle home harder imo

    Before I started cycling I once had 11 pints in an extended lunch and went back to work.. where I wrote some code... looked at it on Monday and deleted the lot of it

    http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/
  • Clever I work for a drinks company and we regualry "taste" various drinks.

    I have to "spit" whilst most people drink.

    Later this afternoon they'll go around with some "[email protected]" cocktails and I'll say no.

    I do my drinking at the weekend, I'm also lucky as the wife rarely drinks so if we do go out I get to drink.

    I won't get drunk because in the past I have, and put myself at risk, being a prat
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Shadowduck wrote:
    ...!
    spen666 wrote:
    No fixed limit if you are cycling
    Still not a very clever idea though, is it?

    no, but its not something Plod can do unless you are drunk in charge. There is no cycling with alcohol above a prescribed limit offence
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    No fixed limit if you are cycling
    Still not a very clever idea though, is it?
    no, but its not something Plod can do unless you are drunk in charge. There is no cycling with alcohol above a prescribed limit offence
    ...which I'm sure will be a great comfort to the next-of-kin.

    Sorry, don't mean to go off on one at you but this is a big button-pusher for me. :evil:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • nottscobbnottscobb Posts: 147
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Before I started cycling I once had 11 pints in an extended lunch and went back to work.. where I wrote some code... looked at it on Monday and deleted the lot of it

    One place where I worked a couple of Friday lunch time drinks was pretty standard and I used to put extra comments next to my work on Friday afternoons so I knew where to look for the problems on Monday morning! Those were the days!
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Shadowduck wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    No fixed limit if you are cycling
    Still not a very clever idea though, is it?
    no, but its not something Plod can do unless you are drunk in charge. There is no cycling with alcohol above a prescribed limit offence
    ...which I'm sure will be a great comfort to the next-of-kin.

    Sorry, don't mean to go off on one at you but this is a big button-pusher for me. :evil:

    WTF are you ranting on about

    All I have said is that there is no offence of cycling with alcohol above a prescribed limit- ie there is no brethaliser for cyclists.

    If you don't like that then get ontoyour MP.

    Its a fact there is no such offence for cyclists. Your ranting on doesn't change it.

    i am not approving or disapproving such a position, nor am I condoning or otherwise those who cycle/drive/walk after drinking
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    WTF are you ranting on about

    All I have said is that there is no offence of cycling with alcohol above a prescribed limit- ie there is no brethaliser for cyclists.

    If you don't like that then get ontoyour MP.

    Its a fact there is no such offence for cyclists. Your ranting on doesn't change it.

    i am not approving or disapproving such a position, nor am I condoning or otherwise those who cycle/drive/walk after drinking
    Surely it takes more than a one-liner to count as a rant?

    I was merely pointing out that it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter whether it's an offence or not - taking any vehicle out on the road when drunk is stupid and irresponsible.

    Since I already apologised for what I knew could be seen as an overreaction, don't you think your response was a little vehement? You were almost ... dare I say ... "ranting" there. :P
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • mark 1mark 1 Posts: 20
    Hi just to add my tuppence worth , I've recently finished working on the pipe line going from Milford Haven to Gloucestershire, we were told if you're hung over from the night before don't bother turning up for work, If "they" thought you were under the influence drink or drugs you would be kicked off site pronto, if it happened a second time you would be given your p45. Drink or Drugs don't mix with plant.
    there we are thats my bit said. :)
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    but also: the sweating and the exertion will sober you up/clear a hangover
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever PunClever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Gussio wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've had 2 at lunch today with food...

    it just makes the cycle home harder imo

    Before I started cycling I once had 11 pints in an extended lunch and went back to work.. where I wrote some code... looked at it on Monday and deleted the lot of it

    http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/

    :lol: it's like a friday tradition at this place I wouldn't want to break the rules now would I... plus it's at least 90 minutes with the boses permission beer on one hand work on the other.

    every other lunchtime I'm in the gym
    Purveyor of sonic doom

    Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • fossyantfossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just drop the pace, and you'll feel a whole lot better when you get to work.... better that sat on hot public transport.....

    At weekends the club run used to clear out any hangovers........ 6 hours in the saddle.. felt great when I got off the bike...not so sure in the first couple of hours.......
  • PlaxPlax Posts: 33
    FOR INFO - As Spen666 has said there isn't a "cycling with alcohol above a prescribed limit offence". However they can be done for being drunk in charge of a carriage. See (v) in the NOTES section.
    Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, provides the offence of cycling on a road or public place whilst under the influence of drink or drugs. It states:
    30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

    NOTES

    (i) The evidence of the extent to which a person is affected must be measured by means other than the provision of a specimen of breath, blood or urine, as there is no power to require such a specimen in these circumstances. However, if such a specimen was offered, it is probable that the evidence obtained by analysis of the specimen would be admissible.
    (ii) In Scotland a constable may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence.
    (iii) In England and Wales a constable may only arrest without warrant in accordance with the powers of arrest set out in section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. In such an instance, that power might be exercised where a satisfactory address has not been furnished, or the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that arrest is necessary to prevent such a person causing physical injury to himself or any other person (see also other conditions in s24 of PACE).
    (iv) The absence of a specific power of arrest in England and Wales affects the ability of the police to present any form of medical evidence of the accused's condition.
    (v) There is no offence of 'being in charge' of a cycle under the Road Traffic Acts, but such conduct may well be an offence of drunk in charge of a carriage under section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872. A bicycle or tricycle is a carriage for the purpose of that section.
  • A - WA - W Posts: 253
    Drinking and cars/cycles dont mix.

    If someone ever cycles/drives under the influence and an event happens where the worst happens and poeple(s) die.

    The consequences for the other driver/rider involved do not bare thinking about, not to mention the poeple that then have to deal with the mess left behind because someone couldnt wait to have a beer.
    FCN 10
Sign In or Register to comment.