Cheap CO2 Cannisters?

1981. Posts: 270
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
I've just got into riding with Cannisters and need to replenish my stock. As I'm commuting I need to buy in bulk, the only problem – wiggle are quoting £11.50 + Delivery for a pack of x6:

http://xrl.us/innovationsco2

Is there anywhere cheaper and reputable where people buy cannisters in bulk?

Thanks so much for any help in advance.

Comments

• I get mine off e-bay, usually about £12 for 10 including delivery.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
    Thanks. I'll have a look on gold old "flea'bay"

Google also found these people:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.ph ... roductId=8

Anybody have any experience with them?

Cheers
  • 1981. wrote:
    They look exactly like what I've got off e-bay, but a couple of quid cheaper. I might give them a go myself! :mrgreen:
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    If you have a decathlon store near you they have them for a very good price.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • roger645
    roger645 Posts: 111
    1981. wrote:
    Thanks. I'll have a look on gold old "flea'bay"

Google also found these people:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.ph ... roductId=8

Anybody have any experience with them?

Cheers

Yea, I've used them, very good price and service.

Roger
    Current Steed: 02 Marin Tiburon
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    are they really that much better than carrying a pump with you?
    spasypaddy wrote:

Very good point actually.

Have a 24 mile commute (round trip) and used to ride with a bag that lugged all my gear (work clothes, bike tools etc.) but really wanted to get to riding bagless (also don't want to spoil the lines of my bike) - so thought I'd try cannisters, that way I could ride and carry everything in my jersey.

However – after my first blowout, I realized my mistake by carrying only one cannister (hindsight is wonderful) and am not sure it's going to fit my budget constraits to keep purchasing cannisters, I'm also slightly concerned at the throw away nature, do any of the manufacturers offer a recycle scheme?
  • roger645
    The canisters are steel so can be recycled at any council site or even in your recycling box if the council accept them.

BTW I find a single 16g cartridge fills a 700c to 110PSi no problem.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    One of my bikes came with a frame pump so I don't bother with CO2 on that one. For the other, there's not really anywhere to put a frame pump and the mini-pumps are a bit pants so I've got one of the combined mini-pump / CO2 thingies. Use the pump bit to partially inflate the tube for fitting / seating etc. then finish the job in a couple of seconds with CO2 - lovely, and if you get multiple unplanned deflation events you're no worse off than if you just had a mini pump to start with. :mrgreen:
  • roger645
    I find they are great for de-stressing after a puncture. It's bad enough getting a puncture, then having to remove a complete £$%£$%^ tyre etc. Having to then pump this up with a mini pump means certain death from hypertension. A quick squirt with a CO2, nice solid tyre, refit wheel and calm decends once again! :D
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    I have had a co2 cannister as back up for months. I bought it with the screw on top bit which pierces the metal top and you control the amount of co2 that comes out by unscrewing the cannister. I always carried the cannister and screw on bit separately ie not screwed on. My advice would be to practice using it to see how much you need to unscrew to let co2 come out. On a recent trip to france I used mine for the first time and under pressure the results weren't so good to say the least!!!! Screwed the top on and when nothing happened unscrewed it at which point co2 pi**ed out everywhere. As if that wasn't bad enough the cannister becomes very cold as this happens and it then stuck to my hand (luckily gloved!). I then spent the remaining few seconds of departing co2 trying to remove the cannister from my hand. Thereafter resorted to mini pump before calling for back up van with track pump. Surprisingly it hasn't put me off using them but I now know what to expect.......... :shock:
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • roger645
    simmo3801 wrote:
    I have had a co2 cannister as back up for months. I bought it with the screw on top bit which pierces the metal top and you control the amount of co2 that comes out by unscrewing the cannister. I always carried the cannister and screw on bit separately ie not screwed on. My advice would be to practice using it to see how much you need to unscrew to let co2 come out. On a recent trip to france I used mine for the first time and under pressure the results weren't so good to say the least!!!! Screwed the top on and when nothing happened unscrewed it at which point co2 pi**ed out everywhere. As if that wasn't bad enough the cannister becomes very cold as this happens and it then stuck to my hand (luckily gloved!). I then spent the remaining few seconds of departing co2 trying to remove the cannister from my hand. Thereafter resorted to mini pump before calling for back up van with track pump. Surprisingly it hasn't put me off using them but I now know what to expect.......... :shock:

On my inflator you screw the cartridge in and there is a trigger to pump up the tyre. I can't see how unscrewing would do nothing more then leak CO2. Are you sure you are doing it right?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've had to get my Grandad some CO2 cartidges for his soda syphon and got them from the local homebrew shop. I've also seen them in Wilkinsons also. Alas in both cases I can't recall the prices.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • simmo3801
    simmo3801 Posts: 486
    Yes on mine there is no trigger so you screw the inflator onto the cannister until it's tight which then punctures the cannister but doesn't let the co2 out then you unscrew it A LITTLE until it inflates the tyre. When it's inflated you tighten the cannister again and that stops the co2 coming out so you can use any co2 left in the cannister again. I think it's called Microflate?
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I went and bought one of the adaptors and a few CO2 canisters today. There's no thread on the adapter for the presta valve - is it just a case of pushing the adaptor onto the valve and screwing the canister in?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • roger645
    simmo3801 wrote:
    Yes on mine there is no trigger so you screw the inflator onto the cannister until it's tight which then punctures the cannister but doesn't let the co2 out then you unscrew it A LITTLE until it inflates the tyre. When it's inflated you tighten the cannister again and that stops the co2 coming out so you can use any co2 left in the cannister again. I think it's called Microflate?

Just saw them on the net, not seen that type before. Could be tricky to regulate I guess!
  • I went and bought one of the adaptors and a few CO2 canisters today. There's no thread on the adapter for the presta valve - is it just a case of pushing the adaptor onto the valve and screwing the canister in?
    It varies - some are push on and some have a lever valve similar to that found on track pumps and the like.