New Saddle?

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
having problems with my saddle that came with my SCR2 1 year ago. Its a San Marco and my bum is always sore even after a short ride. Some suggested a San marco Rolls but it looks a bit dated. Any ideas of a comfy saddle that doesnt look old fashioned. Also dont want to spend too much.

Comments

• emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    if your wearing a pair of Lycra pants/shorts with the padded bit inside them protecting your prospects. then i recommend any saddle thats really thin.... and hard. because theres less of your bum touching the seat...
    if you don't have padded pants protecting your prospects i recommend a nice soft seat (again thin) try not to get ones which have to much of a wider back to them... because you dont need it. it just gets in the way, and causes un-comfyness to the inside of your buttax
  • hothead
    Hi wear padded shorts, doesn't really make much of a difference and to me it seems thin. i wondered as it came with the bike was it a cheap put me on?
  • Give the Specialized Body Geometry series a go. Measure the distance between your sit bones and get one of appropriate width.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've only had my Specialized Toupe Gel a week but so far so good.
  • Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow. Bought for £30 on Ebay (yellow 2006 model). Absolute bargain and very comfy.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Rolls is a fine saddle, but heavy - mine got relegated to the MTB commuter years ago, but is in daily use - very comfy.... the San Marco Regal is nice too - but again old.....

My Flite Titanium (original) isn't as comfy though, but it doesn't weigh much.... might need to consider a BG saddle one day...
  • Saddles are very subjective, so it's difficult to take someone else's suggestion as it may not work for you. One thing I have found though is to experiment with your tyre pressures. You'd be surprised how much extra comfort you can feel by running your tyres a little lower than what is "normal" for you.

The thing with the toupe is that there's so little padding you _have_ to sit on it on your sit bones - you'll last seconds if you're not correctly positioned, so I found it much easier to position the toupe correctly - both angle and front-to-back. Its really easy to work out when its "right" and when you're not sitting on it correctly. It also has a good flex which adsorbs vibration and bumps way better than my previous more padded saddle.

jon
  • hothead
    Give the Specialized Body Geometry series a go. Measure the distance between your sit bones and get one of appropriate width.

Sory to sound a bit daft but where are my sit bones? Fance a Spesh BG saddle but where and what shoud i be measuring? :oops:
  • Hi

They're the two knobbly bits on your bottom - the two bones you actually sit on.

Any spesh dealer has a gel seat thing that you sit on, the bones leave indents and you can then measure the distance apart, after which they have a measuring scale to map bone width, riding style (race crouch or sit up straight wicker basket) to the size of saddle (130, 143 or 155; though i think the toupe is 130 or 143 only)

jon
  • jgr
    jgr Posts: 19
    selle italia flite gel flow - white for 30 quid on e-bay. No complaints so far.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I have one of the Specialized Body Geometry saddles. It's the best saddle I have ever used. I've used it for about 2500 miles so far.