I've been over paid by £2k this month...advice please?!?!

milkywhite
milkywhite Posts: 534
edited October 2007 in The Crudcatcher
Like I said I got paid far too much this month, and it's causing me a dilemma.

Basically, I was due some back pay for a promotion from April, and it was paid this month. However, some monkey at the company that runs our online administration system backdated it to April '06.

Work are aware of the overpayment (because I told them), but the problem is my student loan. Because I got paid so much, the loan company have taken £415 out of it. When I repay the over payment, the student loan company are still going to have the extra I paid them. Whose responsibility is it to recoup the money from the loan company?

I've got a feeling it's going to fall at my feet to get the loan company to refund the money to me once I've paid the money back to work, but I'd feel it would be unfair for me to be out of pocket (even temporarily) due to an admin error outside of my control.

If anybody could clarify the situation, I'd be most appreciative!

Comments

• freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    Spend it all. Tell the police you didn't realise you'd been overpaid, you'll get a caution. You can always get another job!
  • It doesn't really work like that in my line of work. Shame, as I can think of a lot of things to do with an extra £2k.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Tell the SLC what has happened & see what they say.

You may need written proof of the mistake & your bank statements to back this up.

The money wasn't yours & shouldn't have been in the account, therefore the amount sent to the SLC was also a mistake, therefore you should be entitled to a refund.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg