World Wide Warranty Goods brought in EEC, But not in UK

martins2463
martins2463 Posts: 51
edited November 2007 in Workshop
A number of manufacturers offer world wide warranties, yet if you but say Fulcrum wheels from Germany then present the UK distributor with a warranty claim they won’t honour the world wide warranty, one such response is below:

Thank you for your recent enquiry from the ******* website, many apologies for the late response. In answer to your second questions you could try*******, *******.co.uk, who often have good deals.

In regards to the warranty strictly speaking you are supposed to go back to the place where you brought it from. But as you got it from Germany I understand this is difficult, you will need to go to your nearest ****** stockist who will be able to advise you further as we are the UK distributor and you would need to go back via the shop. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Given the products were purchased within the EEC, is this restrictive trade?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's an artificial barrier to trade and illegal to prevent the sale of goods within the EEC - sadly there are a number of companies - Corima, for example who use the same excuses as to why you have to pay a premium to a UK box-shifter for products that can be bought cheaper in EU. Perhaps you could write back to Fulcrum and question their policy - sorry but I can't remember the exact EC Directive under which this applies.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Your warranty is with the person you bought it from not the UK agent.

That is in law and they are within their rights to tell you to go back o them.

Each person in the chain has warranty from the person above them
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Notwithstanding the comments about warranty, it is being used as an artificial barrier to trade within the EU and it is therefore illegal. A further example includes Colnago appointing an 'official' UK distributor i.e. Windwave who are trying to dictate and control the prices in the market when you can just as easily buy the same bike from Maestro, who also sources from within the EU, for about 20% less. IME warranties are pretty useless anyway and are a marketing ruse to cover up poor quality products - if a maker makes a big deal about their warranty then I'd avoid the product in the first place.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • No it's not.

You can buy it from anywhere and you still have your warranties. As it is not a UK sale the UK people DO NOT need to help you.

That is called customer service and to get that you need to be a customer.
  • Seems the major brands are controlled by two companies, you can quickly work out the two from a google search, seems to me these two are trying to control the cost of UK accessories at about 20% above European prices, the dept of trade might be interested in this one, they seem to be scaring off potential European purchases by refusing to honour worldwide warranties offered by European manufacturers, single market!!
  • Your warranty is with the person you bought it from not the UK agent.

That is in law and they are within their rights to tell you to go back o them.

Each person in the chain has warranty from the person above them

As said earlier. Might want to check facts before calling dept of trade.
  • Are you in the Trade?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Write direct to the manufacturer as it is the manufacturer's warranty. You may need to return to the manufacturer (abroad). However it is simpler for all involved if the local distributor handles it - so the manufacture would usually apply some pressure to the local country distributer to honour the global warranty.....

AGV (motorcycle) helmets strongarmed the UK distributor for me a couple of years ago to do a warranty.

E-mail the manufacturer(politely) explaining your problem.

Good luck.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    You have no contract with the UK agent if you bought the goods abroad. The warranty - if any, is with the company that you made the contract with. ie, the person that you bought the goods from.
    More often UK distributers are nothing to do with the manufacturer, they are just a wholesaler. They buy goods from the manufacturer, they sell them to shops, who sell them to punters.

Had you bought them in this country then the sales of goods act, goods must be fit for purpose, or trading standards would have bearing on the issue. You didn't so they're nothing to do with it.