Patellar Tendonitis

scholarsgate
scholarsgate Posts: 66
edited November 2007 in Health, fitness & training
Has anyone been affected by it? What were your symptoms? What was the treatment? And how long long did it take to recover?

Comments

• peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    sounds like you are pushing too high a gear and or your saddle height or pedal /shoe alignmentmight need looking at. Have you been overdoing it ? getting enough rest days ?
    You should go see your Doctor really he /She will probably suggest a week or two off the bike and prescribe some anti inflamatories or steroids maybe send you for a scan .
    You could have the onset of arthritus caused by a previous viral infection or even osteoporosis ?
    Do you cross train ? play footy ? push weights ? see a quack
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I've got it due to short/tight calf muscles, although midly I think.

I dont get any trouble with it through cycling, but it was quite bad when I was trying to train for a half marathon. I'd wake up in the mornings and be hobbling around on tip toes because my heals hurt so much, were sore / stiff after long trips in the car, or when I sat at the desk without moving for a while.

I used heal lifts and ran through it, and ended up with bad knees, which is thought to be as a result of the tight calfs. I'm now having NHS physio (Refered from my GP), and they've just got me doing loads of calf stretches.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I've just realised I've answered the wrong question.

I was told by one physiotherapist that I had this, due to the misalignement of my knees due to tight muscles in my thighs. He pushed my knee cap upwards then poked under it and it was really tender.

Another physio has since told me that its due to tight calves, so the treatment for me is the same as I previously said.

Ultimately you (k)need to know whats causing it and work on that, see a qwack / physio.

I've seen 3 physio's and all have diagnosed it differently, so I'm sticking with the one thats free (good old NHS!)

He's already had me check that my saddle is high enough when I cycle.