New Bike - Few Questions.

Thantos
Thantos Posts: 533
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
I will shortly be starting to ride 6 miles every day (Gosh what a long way.) to work and back.
As i have only ever had mountain bikes before, i would like to know if there are any worthy bikes that would be good for my ride to work.
It would be good if i were able to ride off kerbs on it without the frame folding in half.
I think i would like one of those 'mountain bike framed' commuters.
Biggest problem is that i havn't got a great deal of money to spend.
Is there anything under £250?

Comments

• bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Halfords Carrera Subway on offer at present,

Ridgebacks are always good.

Stick to something without suspension forks or suspension seatpost and you'll get a decent commuter for that price.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Thantos wrote:
    I will shortly be starting to ride 6 miles every day (Gosh what a long way.) to work and back.

Won't be long before its too short.

I do 22 miles a day in total, and sometimes I just want to keep going.
  • I looked at loads of Bikes.

Ridgeback velocity
    Dawes 500 (loads seem to have offers) around the £300 mark
    Calud Bulter Urban range.
    Trek SU300 and the 7.x range

Go to your local bike shops to try out a few first.

I watched loads of bikes on ebay and ended up getting a very good 2nd Hand Claud Butler Urban 400 for £165!!! Its a beauty.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Thantos wrote:
    It would be good if i were able to ride off kerbs on it without the frame folding in half.

Why would you be cycling off of the kerb, I hope you're not telling us that........you ride on the pavement!!
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    If theres one near you, try decathlon. They've got a rep for well specced bikes for not much outlay.

I got a Racer, STI levers etc £170

they have a mtb/hybrid voted best £200'er by WhatMTB
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    You might want to look at a second hand bike? To see what you think of the wheels etc?

If you're in edinburgh or central scotchland, http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/ The Bike Station sort out 'reclaimed' ie donated or removed from railing by the police - they check them out, fix whats needed (brakes, cables etc) and they're guaranteed for 3 months I think.

If not, maybe there's something similar near you? Or places like oxfam etc sometimes have them.