Cleaning my bike

Dizzy the Egg
Dizzy the Egg Posts: 153
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
As my bike's getting muddier at this time of year I think I'm gonnae move up from water and a sponge!

Anyone know what the best type of environmentaly friendly cleaner I should use for general post trail use?

Cheers! :D

Comments

• jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    the muc-off ultimate cleaning kit is good, i got it last november and the brushes are still good, you get disc brake cleaner, bike cleaner, bike spray, sponge and 5 brushes for all over the bike all for £30... good value you can get them from evanscycles..
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Muc off ultimate kit is very good, I have one and its worked wonders over the past 10 months for me, brushes are still good and new sprays arnt too expencive.

When the bike cleaner runs out keep the spray bottle and buy some fenwicks concentrate to refil it with, its tons cheaper and all you have to do is dilute it in the old muc off bottle. 93p a litre rather then £7.

You will probably want a chain cleaner as well, makes the job of chain maiunatnance a lot eaier and better the you an do without one.

Nice thiong is once you have the basic stuff refils dont cost too much and you can keep the bike in top condition.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    edited October 2007
    soapy water and a bit of muc off
  • ur Hosepipe with a presure washer nozel.

1) Turn on hosepipe
    2) Aim at bike
    3) push lever
    4) turn off water and drie bike
  • Tit, dont use high pressure hoses on bikes as you'll kill the bearings.

sponge, hot water and car shampoo because it will leave a nice waxy film on your pride and joy, keeping it protected from the elements.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Indeed a high pressure wash is certainly not the best thing to do it'll clear out any grease in your bearings in no time.

But i still do it anyway :/ bit of muc-off wait a minute or 2, put your money/token into one of those mental jet washes at trail centres and start giggling as all the gunk disappears...
  • Hose it down, dry it off with a microfibre polishing cloth, use a chain cleaner machine with parafin and dry it off with some kitchen towel, wd40 the chain/cables and mechs then lube the chain, cables and mechs.

Your bike will look as new apart from the stone chips.
  • Dav1 wrote:
    When the bike cleaner runs out keep the spray bottle and buy some fenwicks concentrate to refil it with, its tons cheaper and all you have to do is dilute it in the old muc off bottle. 93p a litre rather then £7.

You will probably want a chain cleaner as well, makes the job of chain maiunatnance a lot eaier and better the you an do without one.
    When used neat, fenwicks can be used as a degreaser for your chain / sprockets too. Wish I'd known that before I bought an aerosol chain doc on the same order.

Its alot more environmentally friendly than some of the alternatives too ;)
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315

Where can you buy this cleaner, i cant seem to find it?
  • Mr bump
    Mr bump Posts: 369
    Fenwicks is spot on mate. I got a large garden spray bottle to dilute it in. Much cheeper than Muc off. And IMO does exactly the same job.
    Eagles may fly high but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

http://is.pinkbike.com/photo/4466/pbpic4466217.jpg
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    look on-line, there is a website that lists dealers, shops on-line or your LBS can most likely order you a bottle in.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • There was an article in this months MBUK/what Mountain Bike (can't remember which now) that said although muck off is great and a clear market leader - Halfords own brand stuff was just as good for £5

I personally use Holts motorbike cleaning shampoo which works great (£2 from Wilkinson's for a fair size bottle - you dilute it but its pretty cool)

It gets even the thickest crap off........ and boy does my bike show it (never buying a white bike again!)

:lol: