vitamins, what ones???

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
hi,

just a quickie, what vitimains should i/we be taking if any?? i could do to improve my stamina if theres anything anyone could suggest and just general health.

I read that glucosamine 1 tab per day can help stamina is this true??
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    I think the answer might be none.

Anyone eating a healthy, varied diet of meat, fruit, vegetables, grains or pulses and some leafy veg will get all they require. For vegetarians (I'm one) there isn't even any effect from dropping the meat provided alternative varied protein sources are eaten.

There is evidence to suggest intake can be overdone, esp for fat soluble vitamins which accumulate. http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vitamins.htm

For glucosamine, I'm not sure about effects on stamina but it isn't a vitamin, it's an amino sugar. It's biggest health use (claim) is arthritis treatment hence it's taken as a supplement to prevent joint pain.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    pedylan wrote:
    I think the answer might be none.
    Anyone eating a healthy, varied diet of meat, fruit, vegetables, grains or pulses and some leafy veg will get all they require. For vegetarians (I'm one) there isn't even any effect from dropping the meat provided alternative varied protein sources are eaten...

Yes I used to think this but apparently it aint so. For example, if you are female and of child bearing age, you may need a higher amount of iron than you will get from a 'normal' diet in the UK, particularly if you are also vegetarian or if you are 'dieting' in any way (restricting your calorie intake will mean you are not getting enough).

I got ill last autumn and basically it's taken a year to sort it out. My diet simply wasn't adequate, on top of the extra nutrients my body needed to clear the huge amounts of cortisol and adrenalin I was producing due to life stress on top of the stress of my cycling workload. I ended up with jaundice - a visible sign that my liver couldn't cope. My immune system was also buggered and I've been ill for about 12 months. I also had issues with severe low blood sugar which may have party been due to Candida overgrowth but also to a lack of Chromium - found in whole grains and green veg. I would advise a good multi-vitaman and mineral - the minerals are just as important. They are not cheap though. BioCare are a good make. Do some research on the best forms to be absorbed by the body though - because many supplements are not actually sold in particularly useful forms so wont make much difference as they cant be easily absorbed by the body.

Sadly much of the food we eat doesn't contain the amount of useful nutrients that it ought to. The soil it is grown in having been vastly depleted and the types of foods we eat are restricted as well as having been grown to have qualities that are not necessarily compatible with being of high nutritional content. If you eat the same food every day (ie lets say you always have porridge for breakfast and some bread - a sandwich - at lunchtime) you wont be getting the full range of nutrients because you're not eating a variety of foods. It's difficult to eat a variety of foods because it's not always practical in terms of shopping/bulk buying and things going off as well as the fact that supermarkets stock a limited variety of vegetables, cereals/grains, nuts, pulses etc. It always amazes me that they sell 100s of types of crisps but only one variety of bell pepper or cabbage...

I'd suggest that you only eat whole grain cereals (this includes breakfast cereals and oats, breads and pasta, rice and other grains - make sure they are whole grain/brown) to try and get as much chromium (and fibre!) as you can and take a good multi vit and mineral supplement. Try to eat as much organic produce as you can afford - it had been shown to have a higher nutritional content. An acidophillus supplement is a good idea as well (again, not cheap - about £20 for 60 days- and they must be kept in the fridge or the bacteria start dying off). If you have useful bacteria in plentiful supply in your gut you're going to be better able to digest and better absorb the nutrients that you are getting. Supplements do not mean you can skip meals or not eat a good variety of decent food though, they are just a helping hand if you are doing exercise on a daily basis, are under stress or have other health issues.
  • Of course you could get everything you want from some sort of 'ideal' diet rich in this that and the other. Don't worry about it and just get some multivits and minerals with as much variety of ingredients as possible. I've been taking them for best part of 30 years and am in excellent health. People generally guess my age as up to 10 years younger. Of course I eat all the healthy veg and low fat etc etc. At worst you will waste your money but I don't think so. I get mine from Healthspan now.
  • hi,

just a quickie, what vitimains should i/we be taking if any?? i could do to improve my stamina if theres anything anyone could suggest and just general health.

I read that glucosamine 1 tab per day can help stamina is this true??

Glucosamine is supposed to be good for joints. I took it for years for a really dodgy knee and when I stopped taking I expected to have some problems with it. if anything it's better now after not taking it then when I was.

I take Omega 3 Cod Liver Oil capsules two or three times a week, but that's supposed to be good for my arteries and heart and as it's a natural source it's got more chance to work. The body doesn't absorb vitamins and minerals very well from supplements so it's best to eat the right foods anyway. IMO forget supplements they are a waste of money.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    neilrobi wrote:
    I get mine from Healthspan now.

Yes, Healthspan are good - I've used them before, though I now just go to the whole food shop near my work and get my supplements there.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Interesting range of views.

In Blonde's case, where there is an underlying medical condition and someone is obviously unwell then clearly diet should be examined and possibly changed or supplemented. I also take the point about pregnancy but I am not female and even if i were I suspect i've slipped past "child bearing age" (without grotesque medical intervention) :)

For individuals in good health there are dietary guidelines that, if followed, should ensure that no deficiencies arise. For example eat at least 5 portions fruit and veg a day, limit fat and sugar intake, eat whole meal cereals and bread etc.

I agree you could just take the "sod it" view and take a multi supplement but it's not something I'm inclined to.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Ummm, I know that Potassium has been proven to help keep blood pressure low so I munch my way through at least 1kg of raisins per week :oops:

I like the idea of joint supplements as well, but if you rake through the shelves you'll find there is a pill, potion or ointment for just about everything, made from almost anything (snail gel face pack anyone?).

My father-in-law swears by Glucosamine though, it has helped him out with a trick shoulder.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • The only thing I would add felix is that you may wish to introduce any supplements slowly over time so that you can establish what actually works for you!
    Glucosamine can have benefits if you have specific joint problems - apparently it helps to keep joint tissues oily and therefore help in terms of relief from inflammation. It helped a few years ago when recovering from a bit of knee over-abuse. I do take a general multivitamin supplement as well as cod liver oil in winter, but in most cases a balanced diet is good enough on your health and your wallet.
    I don't think there are any proven ergogenic benefits from vitamin supplements, but there are other food supplements such as creatine monohydrate and other amino acids which can help with recovery and maintaining a heavy training load - means you can train harder and therefore reap the benefits.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hiya,
    I'm currently taking a mix of glucosamine and cod liver oil (seven seas - don't know if it's good but they sell it in tesco) as recommended by my osteopath. I'm also on echineacia (sp?) as I'm suffering from a cold at the moment.
    I sometimes take a hormone balance supplement otherwise I might get a spot on my chin. :D why am I telling you about the spot on my chin?????